Should the CDC allow US Cruising to resume with CLIA's New Mandatory Health protocols?

John

I'm on Island Time
Staff member
The CDC's last no cruise order expires at the end of Sept 2020.

Should the CDC allow US Cruising to resume with CLIA's New Mandatory Health protocols?

Ali

Staff Captain
I really don't know..I think if someone "slips" by the health protocols that they have set in place, and we know it can happen, there will be a bigger issue of what to do with 3000 passengers who might become infected. The islands will again be open to the virus, and for the most part have been virus free. They depend on tourism for their economy but at what price? My honest opinion.."until there is a vaccine, no amount of protocols will keep you safe."

George C

Staff Captain
I am also ready for a cruise, we did cancel our normal November cruise, but currently have cruises booked for end of February and also April. Hopefully CDC will do the right thing, not sure what the right thing is currently.

dougfw

Junior Assistant Purser
Yes, ASAP. Hiding from this "illness" will not make it go away. Covid is now part of our lives and that's an unfortunate fact. My wife and I have been on 23 cruises and we each caught the flu from doing so on one or two of them....me, once and her, twice. One time we were getting ready to sail from Seattle on a dream Alaska cruise and while my wife was walking down a staircase behind another woman, the woman suddenly turned around and sneezed right in my wife's face with her arms out...snot and all. The woman didn't even say, "excuse me". 3 days later, my wife was running a 102 fever and stuck in our cabin....I was also stuck with her because of her illness, couldn't do anything. It ruined our cruise. One thing we've learned from cruising, a lot of people are pigs and we only hope this pandemic has taught the pigs to be cleaner and more courteous of others.

PEB

Staff Captain
Even with the suggested protocols in place I don't believe things are ready to start cruising in the U.S. I could use a cruise but being ready on a ship does not mean that any U.S. port even if just for embarkation or debarkation is ready.

bob

Community Manager Part Time Dinosaur
Staff member
We did...................
Just cancelled our December Christmas cruise and rolled it into early march. If all goes as is planned our cruise would be one of Princess' first cruises out of the hole and we just weren't comfortable that everything that is supposed to be in place really is. Not uncomfortable with the ship itself, everything is going to be as clean as the driven show, it is what's around it that concerns us, airlines and hotels to deal with, no matter how well planned the boarding process is, it will only take one slip up to as Spikesgirl says "put everything in the toilet" so decided to give it a few month to let them make sure they get all the I's dotted and the T's crossed.
Besides our Princess guy got us a really great deal with the same itinerary, same cabin, but with the plus package thrown in, that is free medallion internet, free drink package, and free paid gratuities plus dropped the price of the cruise about $250 pp.
Then what really clinched it was our air. We had air that was left over from our cancelled April cruise that the ever benevolent AA generously allowed an extension till the end of 2020 before they took the money and ran. Wife heard a blurb somewhere that there must have been some pressure somewhere and they were going to now extend the affected cancellations into 2021, she called got a confirmation, not sure of the details, all I know is now we are not going to have to throw $600 down the proverbial toilet

jacey1971

Absolutely. Let those go who are low risk or who already had the virus-- and don't go if you don't feel safe. I think most people miss it enough to accept terms. I'd be glad to cruise even if we have to wear masks and can't go into ports.

kmcisaac45

Personally, I would prefer to wait until there is a safe vaccine for the Covid-19 virus before I got back on a ship, but those who are willing to take precautions (masks, hand washing, social distancing) while on the ship should probably be allowed to cruise under the new CDC guidelines.

John

I'm on Island Time
Staff member
Absolutely. Let those go who are low risk or who already had the virus-- and don't go if you don't feel safe. I think most people miss it enough to accept terms. I'd be glad to cruise even if we have to wear masks and can't go into ports.
Hi @jacey1971 , Welcome to our community. It is so nice to have you part if it. I look forward to reading your posts.

John

I'm on Island Time
Staff member
Personally, I would prefer to wait until there is a safe vaccine for the Covid-19 virus before I got back on a ship, but those who are willing to take precautions (masks, hand washing, social distancing) while on the ship should probably be allowed to cruise under the new CDC guidelines.
Hi @kmcisaac45 , Welcome to our community. It is so nice to have you part if it. I look forward to reading your posts.

MJP

Waiter
Absolutely! I would sail today. Cruise ships were already the safest, cleanest way to vacation. Every ship we have sailed was far cleaner and better managed than the luxury resorts we have visited. With the new protocols put into place by the cruise lines, the ships in the Mediterranean are doing fine. I truly believe the CLIA protocols for ventilation and sanitization will take passenger safety to the highest levels possible. Please save the industry for the livelihoods of millions worldwide whose jobs are impacted with the shutdown of cruising. Save cruising for the mental health boost of vacationing for those of us who desperately need it - and not just today due to the 2020 shutdown. Please open cruising again.

frosa.katsis

I would love to say yes, but the US is in a worst state than we are in Australia. I can't see it happening yet and you just have to think about how hard it is for some people to understand something as simple as "wash your hands" before going into the dining room. People being people will try and avoid doing what they are supposed to do and they put everyone else at risk.

tomthumb

Yes. Remember, this is still a Flu- more transmit@ble, but mortality rates are very low. This is what the government is not telling you. And centered in people in nursing homes, over 75 and with pre existing conditions. Hospitals and doctors know how to treat Covid much better now. The issue is do you want to sail with all the restrictions, including face masks , restrictions coming off the boat and not being able to dine with others, possible time restrictions to dine and going to the theatre. I will not go until most of these are relaxed.

chris1805

Youth Counselor
Wait and see how the European are doing with their new cruising system. Until now, all is good, no infections. On 2 TUI Mein Schiff guests were not allowed back on board after they left from a ship guided tour. They are very strict. If cruising should start in the USA, you will not see any Europeans on board. The USA is one of the "NoGo" countries in the world because of high infection rates.