World cruise 19th instalment, days 67 to 69, New York.

Jill B

The roaming Aussie
Day 67: Well, here we are in New York, Manhatten cruise terminal. On one side we have the Intrepid sea, air and space museum; on the other side Norwegian Escape cruise ship, which is HUGE! :emoticon 0104 surprised: New York turned on the heat for us, around 100 degrees :emoticon 0141 whew:

We had a tour booked, New York by land and sea, which was delayed because it took a looooong time to get through immigration, and Norwegian Escape was first in line.
We waited in the (hot) arrivals hall for over an hour as the queue moved at a snail's pace. There were no chairs, and a few people had to sit on the floor as they were feeling faint. Not all the counters were manned, and the passport checking, finger printing, face photographing etc. was a lengthy process. This was the worst entry process we experienced on the whole trip.
Eventually we were out of there, and found the last bus for our tour waiting. As it had been sitting all that time with the engine running, the airconditioning was leaking water over all the seats. Oh well, load up and off we go. Drove to Pier 17 (I think) beside the Brooklyn Bridge and boarded a tour boat to see the sights, including the Statue of Liberty. It was good, except the l commentary was a bit lame.
Once off the boat we walked back to find our bus, which wasn't there; it showed up eventually, and rushed us through the city past landmarks which were hard to see because the windows weren't very big, the streets weren't very wide and the buildings are very tall. Our tour guide was an odd woman, whose attempts at humour mostly failed. The tour ended about an hour short because of the initial delay, so it was a bit disappointing.

Back "home" for a quick bite, then off for a walk, hopefully to find the Empire State Building. Walking, walking, walking, traffic, horns honking, petrol fumes, legs getting tired, where is this building? We gave up and went back to the ship.

Day 68: New York. Still hot.
Rick wanted to see the Intrepid Museum next door, I wanted to see Central Park..............................Rick won. So we waited in line, paid our $ and entered. It was very interesting, being on an aircraft carrier. We had to wait in lines to look at some exhibits, others cost more to see. I gave up when Rick wanted to go into the submarine, because we had been standing for a long time and my back and legs were hurting, and there was another long line of people waiting to go in. I found some shade and waited, and waited................................. I never saw him come out, I looked for him in the souvenir shop and cafe; no sight of him. So I went "home" and there he is at the Leper Colony with a cold drink. grrrrrrrrrr.

New York gave us great send-off as we sailed away; a thunderstorm! After we passed below The Narrows bridge visibility reduced and the foghorn started.

Day 69: at sea.
Seems there was some excitement overnight. Around 1am the wind picked up from starboard and the ship rocked a lot. Water leaked inside in several places, and crew were fixing things all day. Rick and I slept through the fun! We heard that parts of New York flooded from the storm.

Next port, Charleston SC.

New York, coming into our berth, will we fit?
New York.jpg

City views.
New York3.jpg
New York4.jpg
New York5.jpg
New York6.jpg

Intrepid Museum.
Intrepid.jpg
Intrepid2.jpg
Intrepid3.jpg

spikesgirl

3rd Officer
Sigh, it's been years since we've been to New York. Our son used to live there and we would visit to see him. Now that he lives in nearby SF, it's much easier on us. Still, do miss the theatre...

Flyingfish

Staff Captain
I miss it too. We live under 1 hour away by metro-north train. With the pandemic, the city is lost to us for the time being... Sorry your weather was so hot Jill, New York City can be so hot and muggy at times. I use to travel the subways on hot summer days, before the city put in air conditioned cars. :emoticon 0141 whew:

George C

Staff Captain
We also really miss nyc . I was born and raised there, we visit yearly and always stay at the same hotel which is walking distance to the Intrepid. This is the first year we haven’t been able to visit, thanks for those pictures.

bob

Community Manager Part Time Dinosaur
Staff member
:thumb::thumb: