What Is your favorite camera gear you travel with?

John

I'm on Island Time
Staff member
I know cruisers love to take photos and video. What Is your favorite camera gear you travel with?

Drones, Video, Photos, etc..

Jill B

The roaming Aussie
We have a rather bulky Nikon SLR, but I got tired of carrying it, so got myself a little Sony Cyber-shot which fits easily in my small shoulder bag.
Rick bought himself a compact video camera for our last cruise and we have lots of footage of the ground :rolleyes:

PEB

Staff Captain
I carry a Nikon SLR as well as a GoPro for video. I do take less and less pictures. each trip. I find I miss a lot by focusing on taking pictures instead of just enjoying what is going on.

gottagoacruzn

Environmental Compliance Officer
Oh my Kodak Pixpro digital camera. When I first started to cruise, took a 110 pocket camera, then it turned into a 35 mm camera, then a camcorder, :rolleyes:an now, its the digital, an I like it a lot better. Can take pictures, put it away, an don't have to worry about it bein taken.

bob

Community Manager Part Time Dinosaur
Staff member
my camera.jpg

Funnel

Food and Beverage Manager- Special Contributor
I have a DSLR that I use onboard the ship, taking photos from the balcony etc. I exchanged my big Canon for a much smaller Olympus (micro four thirds system). The Olympus has a smaller sensor but very good (sharp) lenses.
I also use to bring a GoPro which I attach to the balcony rail. Did a time lapse while cruising the Mississippi river up to New Orleans last year. It’s also good for filming while going snorkeling (have more than an hour of film while snorkeling in Bonaire).
I usually also bring a waterproof camera to use on the beach and, of course, my cell phone.

Too much camera gear though. It’s almost a full job to make sure all batteries are charged, but I don’t know which one to leave home.

/Erik

BSeabob

Forum Manager
Staff member
iphone. Just saw a pic off the new 12. whatever and I have picture envy.

BSeabob

Forum Manager
Staff member
I have a DSLR that I use onboard the ship, taking photos from the balcony etc. I exchanged my big Canon for a much smaller Olympus (micro four thirds system). The Olympus has a smaller sensor but very good (sharp) lenses.
I also use to bring a GoPro which I attach to the balcony rail. Did a time lapse while cruising the Mississippi river up to New Orleans last year. It’s also good for filming while going snorkeling (have more than an hour of film while snorkeling in Bonaire).
I usually also bring a waterproof camera to use on the beach and, of course, my cell phone.

Too much camera gear though. It’s almost a full job to make sure all batteries are charged, but I don’t know which one to leave home.

/Erik
Hey Eric. Do you have the Mississippi video available to share ? Went this yr. and thought that it would have been interesting to have done that. Did you do the whole length ? Edit? etc.

Funnel

Food and Beverage Manager- Special Contributor
Hey Eric. Do you have the Mississippi video available to share ? Went this yr. and thought that it would have been interesting to have done that. Did you do the whole length ? Edit? etc.

I have most of the whole length, only missing some short parts when exchanging batteries.
It’s a timelapse, so it’s a very fast sailing. :cool:
It was very foggy weather during our Mississippi cruise.

Here are links to the three separate videos I uploaded on Youtube (I hope the links work).
Mississippi part 1
Mississippi part 2
Mississippi part 3

It’s from south to north. Only about 2,5 minutes each expect part 3 which is twice as long (doubled the frame rate for that one). They are straight out of the camera, so no editing.

Here is a bonus timelapse.
Cruising Stockholm archipelago

It’s from a few years back, cruising from Helsinki to Stockholm. It’s the last part of the archipelago before reaching the port in Stockholm.

Bseabob, let me know if you want the videos in ”non-Youtube” format. I have the original files somewhere and can probably put them on some cloud drive for sharing.

/Erik

BSeabob

Forum Manager
Staff member
I have most of the whole length, only missing some short parts when exchanging batteries.
It’s a timelapse, so it’s a very fast sailing. :cool:
It was very foggy weather during our Mississippi cruise.

Here are links to the three separate videos I uploaded on Youtube (I hope the links work).
Mississippi part 1
Mississippi part 2
Mississippi part 3

It’s from south to north. Only about 2,5 minutes each expect part 3 which is twice as long (doubled the frame rate for that one). They are straight out of the camera, so no editing.

Here is a bonus timelapse.
Cruising Stockholm archipelago

It’s from a few years back, cruising from Helsinki to Stockholm. It’s the last part of the archipelago before reaching the port in Stockholm.

Bseabob, let me know if you want the videos in ”non-Youtube” format. I have the original files somewhere and can probably put them on some cloud drive for sharing.

/Erik
Thanks Eric. Its clear from video #1 that our day to travel up was much nicer. We also got the view from the other side of the river and were much closer most of the time to that side for the complete passage. Arrival in the dark was the same for us. I do not need any non utube format. Thank you. The islands in the archipelago are very similar to the real Inside passage here in BC and islands in our gulf of Georgia between Vancouver Mainland and Vancouver island except for our Mountains. I would love to travel that on your ferry system.
I'd forgotten how fast the ships went when passing lol.

That trip up the river was worth the price of admission for sure. Remarkable how big the system is and the amount of traffic even these days. No wonder the British lost in sail boats.