What do you think of Club Orange on a Vista-class ship?

halcruisers2

Deck Crew
We're new to Holland America and we'll be doing a long cruise on Zuiderdam. Wondering what you HAL frequent cruisers think of Club Orange for this class of ship? I'm seeing that there's some priority access, additional menu items, premium toiletries and bathrobes, sparkling wine on embarkation day, tote bag, a concierge to help with dinner reservations, separate dining area in the main dining room, special events.... that sort of thing. (Maybe a private lounge?? I'm not sure what that involves.) Do you think that Club Orange elevates the experience enough (on a Vista-class ship) to spend the money on it? The cruise is long enough that it would cost us $30/day for the two of us, I believe. For the total cost of the cruise, it really doesn't add all that much extra to the total cost. Since I think we'll prefer "As You Wish" dining, I'm thinking it might expedite the waiting time, etc. for meals, and even though we don't consider ourselves high-maintenance people at all it would be nice to have priority this and that when getting a dining table or coming or going from the ship. Any input from those who utilize Club Orange will be appreciated. Thanks!

halcruisers2

Deck Crew
After thinking about my original question some more, I should add that we have chosen a Signature Suite on deck 6 and would probably want to keep that one. If the perk of an upgrade I am reading about means switching cabins, I doubt that we would take that chance. I suppose the only reason we would go with Club Orange on the Zuiderdam would be a smoother dining experience and the priority access features. Curious what advice others would have.

seamom

Staff Captain
I don’t have any experience with Club Orange but as a frequent HAL sailor, can only offer you a different viewpoint to consider. From what I’ve read, the major reasons to join would be the upgrade, if available, and the dining option…and getting priority boarding, though I've seen in some discussions that isn’t guaranteed in the traffic flow. You say you don’t want the upgrade anyway and if you have a drink package, sparkling wine isn’t a perk.
As for dining, at $30 a day, how often do you think you will use it? Would you grab something fast for breakfast on port days from the Lido depending on your itinerary or want to try alternative dining at lunch at the pizza or burger spots? I’ve never had to wait for a seat in the anytime MDR at lunch. $30 a day could certainly pay for a good part of specialty dining at dinner and from what I’ve heard and will try out soon, you could alternate with booked times for the anytime MDR. I’ve only seen the separate CO dining room on the Koningsdam and it looks like a small glass walled cafeteria across the aisle from deck two windows, though it seems calm and quiet. I like to get a window seat in the MDR so I don’t miss anything and don’t mind the hustle and bustle!
However, if it is in your budget to enjoy the convenience and choice, try it….I hope someone who has experienced it can give their insight. Enjoy everything that your cruise and Club Orange offers!

halcruisers2

Deck Crew
Thanks so much for your input, seamom. Yes, it seems that the upgrade is one aspect that many people value. In our case, we chose our cabin and location and would most likely not want to change that. We have pretty much concluded that purchasing CO is not something we'll do (and perhaps it is no longer available to us anyway). We certainly do appreciate your perspective and thoughtful reply to our question. Enjoy your travels!