s7s - Zuiderdam ?

S

sail7seas

I know what you mean, frito, but I don't really see them as "competing" with Carnival....Carnival has always kept HAL as a separate product and it seems that will continue. In effect, Carnival would be competing with itself. They've always wanted HAL to be the product for people who don't want the "fun ship experience". What sells on HAL....what us regular return again and again for....wouldn't fly on Carnival and vice versa IMO

They are trying to attract families but have planned well to have the kids well occupied and not doing cannonballs into the back pool etc. All cruise lines need to attract the next generation of cruisers and try to make them loyal to their brand....it's all in how they do it. We were on 2 summer cruises with more than the average number of kids aboard...summer in the Caribbean cruises always will have many more children....we WERE NOT at all bothered by any of the kids. In two weeks, maybe one kid may have been a pest but he "was handled". I'm not crazy about wild, misbehaving children and we did not find these kids to be any problem. Their parents were supervising and they actually had taught the kids manners! How refreshing. HAL is an, hopefully, will remain a very different product than RCI. We cruised them once and never returned.

Time will tell...we'll just have to wait and see.

B

Bob/Martha

I had to reply to this latest thread. We are one of those "new generation" of cruisers. My wife and I are in our late 30's with a 7 and 5 yr old. We sailed on he Maasdam in July and will most likely never cruise on another line but HAL again! The ship provided my wife and I the sailing experience we were looking for (vs our other Carnival and defunct Premier cruises we took with the kids). My kids and I quote "had the best vacation ever" since they were in a kids club with 5-10 kids at a time vs 25-30 kids. We are the kid of parents who supervise our kids and understand and respect other passengers...believe me I don't want unruly kids around either! We are booked on the Zuiderdam next August and are counting the days already!!!!!!

S

sail7seas

Happy you enjoyed your Maasdam cruise so much....we loved ours as well and are, also, eagerly awaiting our cruises on the new "Z"

Your children will probably like that ship even more as they have an expanded Kids Zone from what I understand.