Princess Specialty Restuarants???

E

Einstein

Which ones were your Favorite ones??? What type of cuisine did they offer? What was the charge for them???

H

herb

I'll be very interested to hear comments on Princess' specialty restaurants. So far we've never paid extra to eat in any extra charge restaurant. WOndering whether Princess' specialty restaurants are "all that"

B

Beryl

Loved Sabatini's. It was a nice change from the traditional dining rooms but also is not something that we do on every cruise. Way too much food to do too often =lolgang! Maybe I can talk a few people into doing it on the Golden Princess in April since we haven't done it in a long time. I'd like to try one of the Sterling Steakhouse venues too. I've never done that.

I'm not a great fan of the Pizza that is served poolside on Princess but oh my do I ever enjoy the Piazzarias on the Sun Class ships. And no extra charges there!

12Cats

On our first Princess cruise we enjoyed Sabatini's - and it was worth the money - but you want to be sure and go really, really, hungry because there is so much food.

Our second cruise, we had reservations to go there again - but the night before we cancelled them because we were having so much fun in the Santa Fe restaurant that we didn't want to give up a night eating there.

12Cats

C

Colo Cruiser

The Crown Grill on the Crown Princess by far has to be the best we have ever experienced on a Princess ship.

$25 basic charge with a $9 add on for the Live Maine Lobster, but wow it was worth it!!!

N

nieciez

On the CL@SS cruise on Sun Princess we did the Sterling Steakhouse
and were disappointed. On the Sun they just had a section of the Horizon Court set aside for Sterling's. I've had better steak at Lone Star. The service was first class though and I really enjoyed the soup. Now on our Bermuda cruise on RCL Empress of the Seas we really enjoyed that speciality restaurant. I am hoping to try it again on Amigos.

C

CruiseAholic

Crown Grill on the Crown Princess was absolutely fantastic in January.

A

AccousticophobicsBeware

The sterling Steakhouse on the Caribbean Princess was EXCELLENT! The steak melts in your mouth.

J

jwave

We have enjoyed Tequila's on Star and Grand. We love good steak and we have been impressed with the ribeye. The brie quesadilla was amazing twice and horrible once. I will try it again next time. Sabitini's is very shellfish heavy and I am allergic, so we have never tried it.

C

connie seabee

On the Golden 4 years ago we tried Sabatini's, I wasn't to empressed with it. But to be fair, I'm not big on alot of seafood.

This time on the Caribbean Princess we went to Sterling's. Our steak was great, very tender and juicy. It was $15 pp. well worth it.

K

kjc

We went to Sabitinis on the Sapphire and loved it and the experience. We opted not to do it on our last cruise because it is so much food and we were never hungry enough to do it! Also on Sapphire in Aug 04, the other restaurants were all no charge - and we did the anytime dining. We liked Sterling, Vivaldi and Santa Fe - didn't go to the Pacific Moon room. Sterling has now moved near the Horizon Court and has been renamed the Savoy.
On the Star November 06, we went to Tequilas and our waiter had us cut our steaks to be sure we liked them. Both of us had wonderful meals - would definitely go again to Tequilas. Husband likes prime rib, lobster and crab legs, so when they're on the menu, I plan on being in the dining area for quite a while!

B

BobbyCruiser

what are the hours on the Crown Grill? i have a person in my party who is not a fan of teh formal nights and im thinking this might be a good idea on the formal nights

S

Snowblower

E,
The best one we have been to so far was the "Bayou Café" on the Coral. Loved it so much we went a couple of times on the same cruise!!! They served cajun.....

E

Einstein

Agree on the Bayou Cafe Snowblower as we had a FABULOUS meal there also. :thumb

BobbyCruiser ... good thought process on the Specialty restaurants BUT they will also require Formal attire on formal nights. The only dining locale that your friend will get out of that Penguin Suit or other Dress suit on formal night will be at the Horizon Court or in cabin room service. =shrug

C

Cruise cutie

:wave..we have done Sterlings Steakhouse on Golden Princess ,and Sea Princess. and they were both fabulous.. Mark is not a huge fan of paying extra.. but Whooee. Mr Denver Guy was tres impressed the 2 times we've gone so far.he sure knows his beef,as do I with my Dear Poppa raising it for 20 plus years.. . NUMBER 3 visit in just over 5 weeks!!..:grin.. I do not have any great want to try Sabatini's .. wayyy to much food, and I have passed on it so far.. maybe on Emerald Princess we will give it a try...:)..Joanne

S

serene56

Joanne:

Now how do you know its too much food at Sabatinis if you never went there?

your DH dont like eating at places that cost extra-- so you made him go-- (LIke I did with mine a few cruises ago-- now he is sorry we didnt try them sooner)

I would forgo the Steakhouse to try sabatinnis at least once.
Portions are small-- or I think we requested it that way. but many courses.

C

Cruise cutie

Im Italian, and very fussy on how food is cooked, and even worse I do not like some ingredients that are staples of lot's of Italian Cuisine.. sad to say.. I am not a fan of huge amounts of garlic, detest Hot peppers, do NOT eat antipasto.. and heartily dislike pesto..=shrug..I make a ton of Italian food/ dishes, as make my own gnocchi from scratch..sauce cooks for a minimum of 2 days.. and while it is sad to say.. what I make /eat is a different kinds.. but to go and "try" the food I have seen advertised.. would be a waste ,as there are few dishes that appeal on their menu....Born Italian, raised Italian but choosy on dishes.. =shrug.. what can I say.???.. Husband is Swedish, and he's the same with his choices in his end too...I am always willing to "TRY" but to be blunt I've "tried" a LOT of Italian food in my 47 years... and to this day.. there are only maybe 6 or 7 restaurants I have that I truly enjoy.. rather than have tolerated living ALL over the USA......:)..Joanne

G

Gayle V

Hello BobbyCruiser, I don't think the specialty restaurant is the answer for your friend who doesn't want to dress up. I've seen the people going into those restaurants, and they seem to be the most formally dressed people on the ship. Even on the casual nights the ones going in there looked especially nice. I think they are treating those specialty restaurants, the way you would treat any high end restaurant at home. You just don't go in there in less than a suit and tie.

That being said, we've not tried the specialty restaurants, (only observed them going in). I won't try it mainly because it just galls me to pay all that money for a meal, when I've already paid for one. It seems like a big rip off. The meals in the main dinning room are usually delicious, and there's always more to eat than I need. More food is unnecessary, better tasting is unlikely. We will save our $50 to buy a nice meal some other time, when we haven't already purchased one.

Aside from that, I would probably not try the Italian restaurants anyway. Like CruiseCutie, I'm from an Italian family, and I expect Italian foods to taste the way I make them. I can enjoy the Italian cooking of other people, but only if I mentally tell myself that this is not really the same kind of food, but some totally different dish.

L

Lady Jag

We weren't impressed with Sabatini's, but did like the Bayou Cafe on the Coral and the Sterling Steakhouse on the Grand.

DH said the rib eye in the Sterling Steakhouse was very good, but not quite as good as his own grilled at home. I don't know. I'm not a connoisseur by any stretch of the imagination. Give me a slice of pizza and a salad & I'm a happy camper. :grin