Photos from a recent ferry cruise in the Baltic sea

Funnel

Food and Beverage Manager- Special Contributor
There hasn’t been much ferry traffic in the Baltic Sea since mid March this year. A lot of ferries have been laid up.
To survive our ferry companies have been forced to find alternatives. It has been allowed to travel free within Sweden since end of June. This means that the ferry companies can do cruises within Sweden, but with limited number of passangers.
I was onboard one of these cruises, together with my sister and her family, from Stockholm to Visby on the island of Gotland, just outside of the Swedish east coast.
It was two nights onboard and one day in Visby.
The ship run at about half capacity (1400 pax) so it wasn’t crowded onboard.
At the buffet you had to wear gloves when you took the food.
There were no shows or other indoor entertainment onboard. A small band played at the sun deck.

We could park the car onboard the ferry but couldn’t get it off in Visby as we docked at a cruise pier. We walked off the ferry through the car deck (on a red carpet) and the aft ramp.

Visby is an old Hanseatic walled city. It’s a bit similar to Tallinn in Estonia.
We had a sunny day there, walking around. It’s a lot of Swedish tourists in Visby during summer and some of the restautants were surprisingly crowded when you think of the times we live in right now, but people sadly act rather careless from time to time. We didn’t eat anything in Visby, just walked around.

It was a nice cruise. We spent most of the time onboard on the sun deck as the weather was rather good. As usual the cruise through the archipelago was very nice.

Here are some photos from the cruise.

full

The sun deck onboard. Not too crowded. As you can se there are no pools, but as it’s a cold climate 75% of the year outdoor pools would be a waste of space. There are some smaller indoor pools for kids plus hot tubs.
They had a bbq when we left port up here.

full

There was a small band playing music on the sun deck.

full

My cabin, with a small (and rather enclosed) balcony.

full

The indoor promenade. Not too crowded.

full

Here we are leaving Stockholm. The spherical building in the background is a hockey arena.

full

Sunset.

full

Here we are approaching the cruise ship pier.
These ships usually docks so the cars can get off, but as this was only a cruise we used the cruise ship pier. I think the ferry is too big to enter the inner harbour of Visby.

full

We debarked through the car deck. It was possible to park the car onboard instead of in port.
We walked the red carpet - felt like we were movie stars. :emoticon 0100 smile:

full

We got off through the aft ramp.

full

The ferry.

full

Old walls around the city of Visby.

full

Openings so you could defend the city.

full

One of the gates to the inner city.

full

Once you got off the main street is wasn’t crowded at all. A lot of smaller, nice houses.

full

Roof tops in Visby.

full

Now we are back in the beautiful archipelago of Stockholm on our way home.

full

There are lots of private yachts in the archipelago.

full

A sea fortress. I think it’s the most narrow part of the fairway in to Stockholm (for the bigger ships).

full

An archipelago ship, rather old. It runs in between mainland and the islands, kind of like a hop-on-hop-off ship. It’s very nice to take a trip with a ship like this.

full

Another archipelago ship. This is a lot faster, to be able to reach further out in the archipelago in a relatively short time.
There are islands with cabins, hotels, restaurants and bars you can visit.

That was it. Thanks for reading/watching.
I hope all photos come through. When I did a ”preview” some didn’t show up, but it was different photos that didn’t show up every time I did a preview. :emoticon 0184 tmi:

/Erik

Funnel

I don’t know if you can see all photos?
I can’t, but when I hit ”Edit” to change the links all photos can be seen. Strange...

/Erik

BSeabob

Forum Manager
Staff member
I don’t know if you can see all photos?
I can’t, but when I hit ”Edit” to change the links all photos can be seen. Strange...

/Erik
its 2020 there is a slight hiccup in everything its seems.

BSeabob

Forum Manager
Staff member
Hey you are at sea.. Lucky you.

" It has been allowed to travel free within Sweden since end of June. This means that the ferry companies can do cruises within Sweden, but with limited number of passangers."
Really it's free?

Funnel

Hey you are at sea.. Lucky you.

" It has been allowed to travel free within Sweden since end of June. This means that the ferry companies can do cruises within Sweden, but with limited number of passangers."
Really it's free?

Yes it’s free, our government pays us for travelling... :emoticon 0102 bigsmile:
No, not really, but you are allowed to travel around as much as you want in all of Sweden. There are still regulations for maximum number of people inside venues etc.
As we have a small population (about 10 million) and a rather big area there is plenty of room for us all if we spread out. We’re also allowed to be out almost anywhere in the forests etc. no matter who owns the land.

/Erik

Funnel

Now I can see all photos. Hope it’s the same for you all.

/Erik

bob

Community Manager Part Time Dinosaur
Staff member
Hey bud, there isn't a Silja ferry that doesn't have your name on it. Great to see that you are back in the groove and able to ferry your time away:emoticon 0110 tongueout: , was wondering where you disappeared to. Think im going to move to Sweden just for the paid vacations.........
Been able to spend much time at the "summer" house.....
Great pics but you left out food, they only doing "take out"............

BSeabob

Forum Manager
Staff member
Yes it’s free, our government pays us for travelling... :emoticon 0102 bigsmile:
No, not really, but you are allowed to travel around as much as you want in all of Sweden. There are still regulations for maximum number of people inside venues etc.
As we have a small population (about 10 million) and a rather big area there is plenty of room for us all if we spread out. We’re also allowed to be out almost anywhere in the forests etc. no matter who owns the land.

/Erik
I knew it was to good to be true..lol /// But its also nice to be "Free" and able to travel some again.

George C

Staff Captain
Thank you Erik, for the great pictures glad at least some people can enjoy being on a ship , it looks much nicer than the only ferry I have ever taken the Staten Island ferry but that I believe is really free or was.

bob

Community Manager Part Time Dinosaur
Staff member
it looks much nicer than the only ferry I have ever taken the Staten Island ferry
you got to get out more George...........................

golapsk

Deck Crew
This ferry looks like a hotel! I’ve never seen such a large ferry before.
It’s definitely bigger than the ones that go between the Norwegian fjords. This one has to cover longer distances and is, therefore, larger, so the people have something to do while traveling. And the scenery is amazing.
I love sea trips even though I’m afraid of water. The sea is such a wild and free element of nature that it always captivates me.
I will never forget my first cruise in the Balearic Islands. It was one of the most beautiful places on earth, and I hope to return there at least once.