Norwegian Jewel specialty restaurants

C

celebritytracy

I am planning a Med cruise in August 2007 on the Norwegian Jewel. After reading some reviews on the Internet I am a little confused. It seems that some restaurants have no charge, some have a cover charge, and others have a cover charge plus food cost. Is this the case? If so, what recommendations do you have re restaurants? Thanks!

L

Lisa63

Hi celebritytracy, and welcome to cruise-addicts.

Yes, you are correct about the restaurants on Norwegian Jewel. I would say to definitely have a few meals in the main dining room, Tsar's Palace. It is about the most beautiful dining venue I've seen at sea.

Le Bistro and Cagney's have cover charges, and I've heard good reviews of both. I've been to Le Bistro on another of NCL's ships, and truly enjoyed.

If they offer Shabu-Shabu in the Chin-Chin restaurant during your cruise, I'd give that a try. Shabu-Shabu is a wonderful meal -- you are given a pot of simmering broth along with your choice of meat and vegetables to cook in the pot. I don't know if there is a cover charge for this, but it's worth it either way.

Of course, food and restaurant recommendations are highly subjective, but I hope this helps somewhat.

H

hinkley

As the Jewel is freestyle there are about 4 restaurants & I agree with lisa63 Tsars is a beautiful restaurant there is a tex Mex & an Italinan you booka table if there is a wait they give you a buzzer so you can go & have a dance or coktail & they have Plasma screens on the walls throughout the ship that tells you the wait times.

N

newmexicoNita

Welcome to Cruise Addicts; hope you continue to check us out and ask questions. As for the Jewel and the dining rooms; I will try to break them down if I can:

2 main dining rooms: Azure and Tsars: neither with extra charges
the buffet: no charge
Blue Lagoon; great for lunch, quick breakfast or snacks: try the fish and chips and the burgers. No charge
Tangos: Tex Mex (not my favorite place as we are used to more spices) it is popular, does have good ribs, but what ribs have to do with Tex Mex always amazed me: no charge, reservation suggested.
Mama's Kitchen: maybe our favorite place on the ship (actaully we like almost everything) reservations required; no charge
CAgney's: Steakhouse with good food and service: Hubby like it better than I did; reservations required and yes, there is a charge
Le Bistro: a must on all NCL cruises: reservations required, sur charge
Shabu-Shabu: yes, a charge but worth it.

None of the restaurants charge a sur charge and extra for food. I think this misconception came from remarks about Le Bistro and CAgneys as having the basic menu or you can upgrade to Lobster, other seafoods or over sized Steaks, but you don't pay both the cover charge and the extra. Hope this helps some. NMnita