New to cruising

obxsusie

Deck Crew
My husband and I will be taking our first cruise in January 2022 on Celebrity Edge 7 day cruise to San Juan, Tortola and St. Marten. Although I have been on one other cruise (RC short Bahamas cruise in 2011) my husband has never been. Any advice? Are shore excursions worth it? We are both fully vaccinated and so excited for our trip! We were married in 2020 but never got a honeymoon so we are going all out! Thank in advance for any and all recommendations!

BSeabob

Forum Manager
Staff member
Tortola one of my favorite Beach Day stops. You have option of going to the Baths or heading to the other side of the Island for a day at the beach. Been a while so I can not recommend a specific place anymore but should be easy to pick out . Cab it on Tortola. To get to the baths on Virgin Gorda option of Ship tour or searching for a private. Description of "Ferry" on tours does not match what you usually think of....
St. Marten is another of my favorite beach stops. Easy to get to. Short boat trip to dock in town and the beach is right there. So is the town.
Depending on your cat of room on the edge you may find yourself in a room with a big window that opens and not really a balcony. Check the details so you are not disappointed. I forget waht they actually call the set up.

sunluva7

Youth Counselor
Congrats on your first cruise! Whether or not a ship excursion is worth it depends on what your plans are in port. For a beach, for example, it’s easier and cheaper to take a taxi. When I visit a place for the first time I like an overview. That’s where a ship excursion is useful, though you can easily do this by grabbing an independent taxi tour off the ship. It all depends on your level of comfort. The important thing is to research Google (‘port guides’), decide what’s most important to you, and make a plan so you make the best use of your time in port, and give yourself plenty of time to return to the ship before “all aboard” time.

Ofherwise, read all about your ship, download the Celebrity app, make sure your passport and/or ID are up to date (passport needs to be valid for 6 months beyond trip end date), and don’t pack valuables, meds or ID in your checked bag.

Have an awesome belated honeymoon!

obxsusie

Deck Crew
Tortola one of my favorite Beach Day stops. You have option of going to the Baths or heading to the other side of the Island for a day at the beach. Been a while so I can not recommend a specific place anymore but should be easy to pick out . Cab it on Tortola. To get to the baths on Virgin Gorda option of Ship tour or searching for a private. Description of "Ferry" on tours does not match what you usually think of....
St. Marten is another of my favorite beach stops. Easy to get to. Short boat trip to dock in town and the beach is right there. So is the town.
Depending on your cat of room on the edge you may find yourself in a room with a big window that opens and not really a balcony. Check the details so you are not disappointed. I forget waht they actually call the set
Depending on your cat of room on the edge you may find yourself in a room with a big window that opens and not really a balcony. Check the details so you are not disappointed. I forget waht they actually call the set up.
Thank you for the info! We are in what they call an infinite veranda room. We will be cruising with a few friends and one of them visits SMX at least once a year so she will definitely be our tour guide there. We are very interested in visiting the baths since we have heard other cruisers mention it so much.

obxsusie

Deck Crew
Congrats on your first cruise! Whether or not a ship excursion is worth it depends on what your plans are in port. For a beach, for example, it’s easier and cheaper to take a taxi. When I visit a place for the first time I like an overview. That’s where a ship excursion is useful, though you can easily do this by grabbing an independent taxi tour off the ship. It all depends on your level of comfort. The important thing is to research Google (‘port guides’), decide what’s most important to you, and make a plan so you make the best use of your time in port, and give yourself plenty of time to return to the ship before “all aboard” time.

Ofherwise, read all about your ship, download the Celebrity app, make sure your passport and/or ID are up to date (passport needs to be valid for 6 months beyond trip end date), and don’t pack valuables, meds or ID in your checked bag.

Thank you for the tips! We didn’t even realize Celebrity has an app but will definitely download it. We are very much looking forward to this trip.

obxsusie

Deck Crew

Just downloaded the app! Thanks for the recommendation!

George C

Staff Captain
App is a total must, cannot get on ship without it, all menus , shore excursions etc on it. I am against ship excursions in general but for your first cruise you should consider them, I rather take a taxi to the beach . We had a excursion to Orient beach on Celebrity a couple of days ago, bus had no working a/c so half of us just walked off the bus and got a refund by celebrity. I just got off the Edge yesterday and will try to answer any questions if I can.

obxsusie

Deck Crew
App is a total must, cannot get on ship without it, all menus , shore excursions etc on it. I am against ship excursions in general but for your first cruise you should consider them, I rather take a taxi to the beach . We had a excursion to Orient beach on Celebrity a couple of days ago, bus had no working a/c so half of us just walked off the bus and got a refund by celebrity. I just got off the Edge yesterday and will try to answer any questions if I can.
My husband would like to zip line. Would you is their a company other than the ships shore excursion you would recommend? Any things on the ship that are a must to do?

BSeabob

Forum Manager
Staff member
Thank you for the info! We are in what they call an infinite veranda room. We will be cruising with a few friends and one of them visits SMX at least once a year so she will definitely be our tour guide there. We are very interested in visiting the baths since we have heard other cruisers mention it so much.
Yes that is what they are called. You can not walk out like a normal balcony. Just wanted you to be aware of the big difference. I forgot about the app. Good suggestion by GC.

George C

Staff Captain
My husband would like to zip line. Would you is their a company other than the ships shore excursion you would recommend? Any things on the ship that are a must to do?
Not aware of any zip lines at your ports , some rccl ships have zip lines on the ship, we visited Nassau, St Maarten and St Thomas, celebrity has a very unique restaurant called Le Petit Chef it’s 55 per person, lots of fun, when you get served a cartoon character walks around your plate , it is lots of fun. Martini bar is fantastic the talented bartenders juggle bottles and pour great drinks. St Maarten has some really beautiful beaches, some of them are clothing optional. There is a main show at 7 every night and it is then repeaTed at 9 . great view from Eden and there is live music in both Eden and martin bar starting in early afternoon.

vmibill95

My husband and I will be taking our first cruise in January 2022 on Celebrity Edge 7 day cruise to San Juan, Tortola and St. Marten. Although I have been on one other cruise (RC short Bahamas cruise in 2011) my husband has never been. Any advice? Are shore excursions worth it? We are both fully vaccinated and so excited for our trip! We were married in 2020 but never got a honeymoon so we are going all out! Thank in advance for any and all recommendations!
Been to St. Marteen. One of our best shore excursions was simply walking around the city. It's a great little place.

As far as excursions, I would keep it to one excursion a day... or at least one physically demanding excursion a day. We tried doubling up horseback riding and snorkeling in one day on a cruise and regretted it.

Kline

Deck Crew
Not a good time to cruise with covid; canceled our cruises since they will never be the same again. Good luck