New cruiser with 11 and 14 year olds

cgallardo728

Hi there! We're planning on giving cruising our first try next summer (July or August when school's out). Looking at Carribean sailings, 7-10 days in length and departing out of Florida if possible as we're planning on doing a few days of Disney World before the cruise. Wondering which cruise line will be ideal for a family of four with two boys (11 and 14 y/o). Types activities and excursions for kids in this age group is one of the top items on our list. Thanks in advance.

BSeabob

Forum Manager
Staff member
Well.... Disney if it meets your budget. Mainstream..... Royal Caribbean. One of their larger newer ships would have all the bells and whistles. However you need to check their upgrade program to see if you would like to enhance their line up experience. Which of course costs more.

BSeabob

Forum Manager
Staff member
Rccl oasis class has lots of activities for children (too many as far as I am concerned)
Us old cogers kinda feel the same. BUT I disagree on the Oasis class. being as good as their bigger ships. Only one flow rider and staffing the number of activities for kids was an issue when I was last aboard the Oasis. Nice area for us older folks to hide through.

seamom

Staff Captain
If you can afford all the bells and whistles of Disney or RCCL, I’m sure your guys will have a blast. However, if it’s their first cruise and you have a budget and/or a preferred itinerary, my son at 7 and 10 had a blast in the kids programs on two of the early small Princess ships, Sea and Dawn Princess. He spent most days and evenings with them, preferring their activities to spending time with us. A pool was a huge treat that we didn’t have at home. At 15, even HollandAmerica’s teen program kept him happy. Whatever food he wanted, pool, beaches and snorkelling, new friends, magician shows when younger , simple excursions ..there was still plenty to entertain him…. Didn’t need water slides, rollerblades, and all the extras. However, I’ll bet now that he can afford his own at 30, he may choose to go over the top to impress his fiancée lol.