MS Westward

• Thread starter Freddies Food Slave
  • Start date
F

Freddies Food Slave

When I graduated from HS in 1993, a friend of mine and I went on the NCL Westward to the Bahamas. Whatever happened to that ship? Did they just change the name or did they sell it? Just wondering.

H

herb

This is the story of the MS Westward:

ROYAL VIKING STAR: Built 1972 for Royal Viking Line, Oslo, Norway, at Wärtsilä, Helsingfors, Finland. Lengthened 1981 at A. G. Weser Seebeckwerft, Bremerhaven, Germany. RVL sold 1984 to Norwegian Caribbean Lines (Klosters R/A), Olso. Continued operating independently. Reflagged in Bahamas 1988. Transferred to NCL 1991, renamed WESTWARD. Transferred to Royal Cruise Line 1994, renamed STAR ODYSSEY. Royal Cruise Line dissolved by NCL 1996. After a short period of operation under NCL brand (keeping same name), sold to Fred Olsen Cruise Line, Nassau, renamed BLACK WATCH. Presently in service.

mnorris

This is the story of the MS Westward:

ROYAL VIKING STAR: Built 1972 for Royal Viking Line, Oslo, Norway, at Wärtsilä, Helsingfors, Finland. Lengthened 1981 at A. G. Weser Seebeckwerft, Bremerhaven, Germany. RVL sold 1984 to Norwegian Caribbean Lines (Klosters R/A), Olso. Continued operating independently. Reflagged in Bahamas 1988. Transferred to NCL 1991, renamed WESTWARD. Transferred to Royal Cruise Line 1994, renamed STAR ODYSSEY. Royal Cruise Line dissolved by NCL 1996. After a short period of operation under NCL brand (keeping same name), sold to Fred Olsen Cruise Line, Nassau, renamed BLACK WATCH. Presently in service.
She is still alive!! I grew up around ships and the ocean. I wanted to be a cruise ship captain as a child but wanted to have a family so I couldn't. Mom, when I turned 18 took me on the MS Westward for my birthday and that ship, for some reason or another, tugged my heartstrings. I fell in love with her and always wondered what became of her! Is she still alive now? I see your message was in 2004. Thanks so much!!

bob

Community Manager Part Time Dinosaur
Staff member
Herb is no longer with the forums but in respect to your question, Yes she is still alive.

Fred. Olsen Cruise Lines has sold sister-ships Black Watch and Boudicca as a pair. Instead of being scrapped, the two vessels will serve as floating accommodation vessels for a company in Turkey.
On 21 August 2020, Fred. Olsen announced that the Black Watch and her sister ship Boudicca were sold as accommodation ships for workers.

Here is a history of what started as the Royal Viking Star with Royal Viking Line and ended as they Black Watch with Fred Olsen Line, and somewhere in between was the MS Westword

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MS_Black_Watch_(1971)