Medallion on Ruby

PEB

Staff Captain
I know many people love the medallion, I am not one of them. While I was on the Ruby for 60 days my wife and I had to have our medallion replaced many times. Now you may say yes but we were on for 60 days, however on the first cruise which was 15 days we had them replaced 3 times. They would not open our door, you could not use them to purchase items and they would not work when trying to leave or board the ship in port. Now you may say but how did the app's work. We did not use the app's however wait staff would bring us drinks and coffee that we never ordered. In other words other people would order something on the app but somehow it would come to us. Many times you would see wait staff trying to find people with an order and they would be waling around for long periods of time. Some people would reorder food and because it took so long they would order again or cancel an order and reorder which caused problems for staff trying to deliver an order. In other words it slowed things up worse. Now some people did get their orders as requested however I heard a lot of people we talked with complain about how it caused problems. If you order something and move they can track you however it will take them much longer to find you.

The medallion's signal does not work well in all areas of the ship so the devices the crew use to find you does send them to the wrong place at times. When people would try to find people that they added into their app sometimes it would send them to the wrong deck sometimes it would send them to the right area. I watched some people trying to see how it worked and one told them the other was 3 decks up however they were standing next to each other.

It may be a good idea but I did not like it. To me the added apps for ordering things and delivering things is turning the service on Princess into a drive through window type service and if I am on a cruise I expect real service. I just made friends with the staff and ordered what I wanted in person and had no problems and much better service than the app's provided. JMHO.

Oceangirl

Waiter
I know many people love the medallion, I am not one of them. While I was on the Ruby for 60 days my wife and I had to have our medallion replaced many times. Now you may say yes but we were on for 60 days, however on the first cruise which was 15 days we had them replaced 3 times. They would not open our door, you could not use them to purchase items and they would not work when trying to leave or board the ship in port. Now you may say but how did the app's work. We did not use the app's however wait staff would bring us drinks and coffee that we never ordered. In other words other people would order something on the app but somehow it would come to us. Many times you would see wait staff trying to find people with an order and they would be waling around for long periods of time. Some people would reorder food and because it took so long they would order again or cancel an order and reorder which caused problems for staff trying to deliver an order. In other words it slowed things up worse. Now some people did get their orders as requested however I heard a lot of people we talked with complain about how it caused problems. If you order something and move they can track you however it will take them much longer to find you.

The medallion's signal does not work well in all areas of the ship so the devices the crew use to find you does send them to the wrong place at times. When people would try to find people that they added into their app sometimes it would send them to the wrong deck sometimes it would send them to the right area. I watched some people trying to see how it worked and one told them the other was 3 decks up however they were standing next to each other.

It may be a good idea but I did not like it. To me the added apps for ordering things and delivering things is turning the service on Princess into a drive through window type service and if I am on a cruise I expect real service. I just made friends with the staff and ordered what I wanted in person and had no problems and much better service than the app's provided. JMHO.
I am sorry to hear you had such a bad time with the medallion. We have been on several medallion cruises now and have never had any problem using ours with our doors, shopping or ordering. But we have not been on the Ruby with it before. We will be going next month. Thank you for posting this. We will see how well ours does on this ship.

RickyLuca

Waiter
Completely agree with you, Medallion is a bad joke. RCL had interactive tv already in 2002 and Princess is delayed with all innoivations but medallion is real bad idea.

red stripe

Staff Captain
Peb..we feel your pain! We hate them also. Two Princess cruises so far this year, and both times these have been a frustrating experience. Ditto the HAL version. Done three HAL cruises since Jan with them, so this is not a “ one off”. Five cruises.. five times the frustration.

and while we always saved the nice flat key cards, these are just more trash for the landfills. With the cards you could reach into the bowl and pick a card and read it and smile at the memories. Yes, if you pick out a Medallion out of the bowl you can read..around the edge..in little tiny print… what cruise it was. But best to use a magnifying glass.

the key card was nice and flat, it took up no room. AND!!! If the cruiselines wanted to go high tech… why not put all that stuff ON the key cards? After all.. we have credit cards that can pretty much keep track of your whole lives!

oh yes.. if they had done that, then they would not have had a cash cow…
with the Medallion you are pretty much forced to BUY something to carry it in.
they are treating it like Jewelry, necklaces, watches, etc.

right now we are waiting for our “ new” medallions to come. Three Princess cruises coming up… so more opportunities to gnash our teeth

red stripe

Staff Captain
Well, Princess did not disappoint :emoticon 0183 swear:
We received the Medallions a few days ago.
Yesterday we received a notification that they were shipping ANOTHER set out to us.. complete with a fancy lanyard that we DID NOT ORDER! and charged us $13.
A call to Princess about this charge (two hours wait time) got us this.."sorry if you look at our site you will see that there is NO reimbursement allowed for Lanyards" EVEN if you did NOT order them? She made a note of it.
we called our credit card company and disputed the charge.

Thanks Carnival Cruise lines for adding to the stress in our lives.