Meatballs the Swedish way – bOB, look here!

Funnel

Food and Beverage Manager- Special Contributor
As bOB has been longing for the recipe for Swedish meatballs (for a year or so… :whistle:) I thought it was time to add it here.
In this recipe there is meat from moose but you can use other types of meat too.

I hope I did correct conversions of the units. I think “tablespoon†and “teaspoon†is almost exactly the same in Europe as in the US.

Ok, here we go!

Ingredients

• Approximately 200 g (0,44 lb) minced pork
• Approximately 200 g (0,44 lb) minced moose (or minced beef)
• 4 tablespoons unsweetened bread crumbs or ¾ dl (2,5 fl oz) rolled oats
• 1 tablespoon potato flour
• 1 ½ dl (5 fl oz) milk or water
• 1 ½ teaspoon salt
• 1 egg
• 1 ½ krm (0,2 teaspoon) black or white pepper
• about 1 tablespoon grated onion or about 2 tablespoons of finely chopped sautéed onions.

Time to get busy!

Mix bread crumbs (or rolled oats), potatoe flour and milk (or water). Let it swell for at least 10 minutes. Stir egg, salt, pepper and onion into the mix. Add the mince (of both types) and mix well (eg. with a wooden fork). All shall be well mixed but too much mixing may make it “rubberyâ€/â€toughâ€.

Shape the mix (with your hands) into small round, even balls. Keep your hands moisture by adding water to keep the mix from sticking to your hands.
Brown some butter in a frying pan. Add the meatballs. Shake the pan so that the meatballs are browned all over. Reduce the heat and fry for 3-5 minutes (depending on the size of the meatballs).

If you have done it all correctly it will look something like this:

110624-02.jpg

Eat and enjoy!

/Erik

ShipMaven

Forever Remembered
Thank you, Erik. I DO like Swedish meatballs. But I'll have a problem with the recipe - you didn't give the conversion for 1 egg! :whistle:

bob

Community Manager Part Time Dinosaur
Staff member
depends on if it is an American chicken or a Swedish chicken laying the egg

Funnel

Mary Ann, I guess it has to be about half an egg in American... :whistle:
Here you can see the difference.

135ab320af1b1778da6f951b2d97cabf.jpg

American egg to the left and Swedish to the right (yes, everything is bigger in the US, just look at your cars). :biggrin:

bOB, Swedish meatballs = Swedish eggs = Swedish chicken! :biggrin: OK, you can just give your American chicken a Swedish name like... :scratch: hmmm... Bob!

/Erik

bob

Staff member
Wellllllllllll that explains it, you need to put the Swedish chickens on steroids like we do...........:lblue:

and bigger is better.... unless your buying gas, or trying to impress a date.

Funnel

Wellllllllllll that explains it, you need to put the Swedish chickens on steroids like we do...........:lblue:

and bigger is better.... unless your buying gas, or trying to impress a date.

:biggrin:

So this must be an American meatball:

meatball.jpg

And here is a standardized Swedish one:

P1030144.JPG

I think I need to do a revision of the recipe and add some meat... :whistle:

If I put my medium sized car on steroids, will it be as big as your cars over there? :biggrin: I have to try that, sometimes I need a bigger car. :doubleup:

/Erik

ShipMaven

Forever Remembered
Erik - oh, thank goodness you did a "show and tell" about Swedish eggs versus American eggs. Now I'll have something to eat this weekend other than turkey.

You mean you've been making Swedish meatballs without meat???????????????????? I'm confused again.

Funnel

You mean you've been making Swedish meatballs without meat???????????????????? I'm confused again.

Ehhh... oops.... :biggrin:
I think I meant "and add some more meat" or just "and add more meat". :whistle:

Actually there is some kind of meatballs without meat for vegetarians. Have never tried that though.

/Erik

ShipMaven

Forever Remembered
Oh, thank you for the clarification, Erik.

Now to go buy the ingredients...including, I guess, moose meat!

Funnel

Just remember if you follow this recipe - the meatballs will NOT taste like in IKEA. :biggrin:

/Erik

bob

Staff member
So then, just how may authentic Swedish meatball recipes are there................................

Funnel

So then, just how may authentic Swedish meatball recipes are there................................

bOB, there are as many recipes as there are (and have been) mothers. :biggrin:
Everyone has their own twist, but the basic recipe is more or less the same. It's mostly the seasoning and how you mix the ingredients that makes the difference.

/Erik

Corky

Staff Captain
Funnel - I have a question. On the oats...are they to be ground first before adding to the mixture, or do you use whole oats?

Thnx!!

Funnel

Funnel - I have a question. On the oats...are they to be ground first before adding to the mixture, or do you use whole oats?

Thnx!!

Corky, you just let the whole oats swell in the milk for about ten minutes, so no need to ground them.
I also recommend grated onion and you may want to add slightly more than in the recipe.
Black pepper gives a bit more "sting".

Good Luck!

/Erik