Is Holland America Website the worst of all western based cruise lines?

Nolafolks

Deck Crew
In August 2023 we booked a HAVE IT ALL cruise on HAL for May of 2024. The booking was paid in full by November 2023. This is our first cruise on HAL and in fact our first cruise since 1987 so we anticipated much had changed. I paid the booking off early in anticipation of early access to booking for specialty dining and excursions, which I was told could be easily handled through the HAL website.

While I was able to register (pre-board) via the website, including the almost $900 hold on my credit card for any billings, something no one told me about until I had already completed the booking and payment) but using the site to access specialty dining and excursions has been a no go since November. Either they are sold out, or the site is not functioning properly every time I log in. If this is any indication of what I can expect from our Holland America experience I regret the booking already.

If there is a secrete to using this I wish someone would tell me. Are all cruselines this difficult to deal with?

BSeabob

Forum Manager
Staff member
The secret is to have a Travel Agent that will work with the cruise line for you. On the website specifically sometimes things go smoothly and sometimes they don't no different than on mainline cruise sites in my experience.

red stripe

Staff Captain
Nola.. we love HAL.. and Celebrity..and Princess.. and Cunard!..and RCI…
BUT.. BSea is giving you the best advice.. get a good TA to work with.

cruiseline websites? Princess and Cunard are good to work with…
and OK.. HALs sucks!

seamom

Staff Captain
I could tell a very long tale of HAL call in service but I will say I no longer go rushing to the site to sign in for ‘Private Sales’ and ‘Special Offers’ after I get an email from them… unless I’m missing something, they’ve never been a penny less than anyone could see on the open public web.

Nolafolks

Deck Crew
Seamom, I have found the same with the "private: site, or once you have signed in. We have a travel agent that has been helpful with the booking. I am now frustrated with just booking things like specialty dining an shore excursions. Also getting basic info like what nights are "special event" like the infamous Orange night or glamour or "formal" night. You would think that once you are confirmed and have do the pre-boarding thing is done that this type of information would be easily available. I have found it all a bit disconcerting.

Nolafolks

Deck Crew
Please tell me what you mean by "specific date"FB pages. Are there Face Book pages for specific sailing dates for various cruses? Ex: a HAL FB account (FB.com/HAL) with pages specific to my sailing date or is it more specific (FB.com/HAL-Nieuw Amsterdam 5-5-2023)?

seamom

Staff Captain
Please tell me what you mean by "specific date"FB pages. Are there Face Book pages for specific sailing dates for various cruses? Ex: a HAL FB account (FB.com/HAL) with pages specific to my sailing date or is it more specific (FB.com/HAL-Nieuw Amsterdam 5-5-2023)?
Yes, if you post here and don’t find anyone sailing with you and in addition to this site, often a passenger will start a Facebook group for a cruise which they are booked on to meet and discuss with interested fellow passengers and start a meet and mingle on the first sea day. I’ve been here during sailing times since 2000 and am on an FB site for my current sailing. Search for Holland America and/or ship name and month in full/year variations… depends on the person creating the group.

Deonna

In August 2023 we booked a HAVE IT ALL cruise on HAL for May of 2024. The booking was paid in full by November 2023. This is our first cruise on HAL and in fact our first cruise since 1987 so we anticipated much had changed. I paid the booking off early in anticipation of early access to booking for specialty dining and excursions, which I was told could be easily handled through the HAL website.

While I was able to register (pre-board) via the website, including the almost $900 hold on my credit card for any billings, something no one told me about until I had already completed the booking and payment) but using the site to access specialty dining and excursions has been a no go since November. Either they are sold out, or the site is not functioning properly every time I log in. If this is any indication of what I can expect from our Holland America experience I regret the booking already.

If there is a secrete to using this I wish someone would tell me. Are all cruselines this difficult to deal with?
I too have had the same experience. A

Deonna

I too have found their website to be unavailable when trying to do anything other than to make a payment. I tried for weeks to talk to an agent who could speak English clearly (3 attempts) about booking some excursions and making dining reservations. The excursions were mostly booked and we are unable to eat in some of the nicer restaurants on the ship. At that point, I decided just to cancel our trip. One day too late. Cancellation penalty was huge sooooo…..we are going. I was told I should have been working with a travel agent. We’ve travelled all over the world and I have never needed a travel agent but now I know. Holland America requires it if you want to stay in the loop.

seamom

Staff Captain
I too have found their website to be unavailable when trying to do anything other than to make a payment. I tried for weeks to talk to an agent who could speak English clearly (3 attempts) about booking some excursions and making dining reservations. The excursions were mostly booked and we are unable to eat in some of the nicer restaurants on the ship. At that point, I decided just to cancel our trip. One day too late. Cancellation penalty was huge sooooo…..we are going. I was told I should have been working with a travel agent. We’ve travelled all over the world and I have never needed a travel agent but now I know. Holland America requires it if you want to stay in the loop.
Have you travelled yet? If not, call HAL’s technical line or customer service if you are having trouble with the website. I don’t have a travel agent and had no problems booking specialty dining and excursions online. I’ve never had an issue with communication by phone, either. Don’t worry about most of the specialty dining as you can still try booking online once you get that fixed or onboard because most, except perhaps Mortimer at Sea, have openings at some times as people change their minds creating space. Wait list for excursions. With enough interest, they may put on extra vehicles if available but again, people change their minds as most are cancellable within a reasonable time and we’ve had confirmation of a waitlisted trip before boarding. Hope it works out for you.

Nolafolks

Deck Crew
Hey Seamom. We traveled in May. Actually the HAL app was still an issue, even when we were on the trip. It would drop out even on board ship. I had to sign back in about every 30-56 minutes. Some basic info was missing or near impossible to find. Booking made on line for specialty dining or excursions made on line sometimes were not registered at the venue. I several times had to go to guest services to get it correct. More importantly, If you make a reservation on line there is no way to change or cancel it so you still have to go to GS and stand in line. in our experience on Nieuw Amsterdam in May most folks at CS had such strong accents or challenges with English that over the phone was more frustrating than going down and waiting in line.

This was our first cruise experience, and although it was mixed we do plan to cruise again. I think may of our disappointing experiences on board are specific to the crew and or management on board and not the line but the website, that is a corporate issue. I think HAL (or perhaps their parent company CC & plc) as an American based international player needs to get with the IT program as they are behind much of the populous in this regard.

seamom

Staff Captain
Sorry to hear of your technical difficulties. We’ve only been on the Koningsdam with the app and not the older ships. Hope your next experience is better.

markzily

Deck Crew
Sorry to hear about your frustrating experience with booking specialty dining and excursions on HAL's website. It sounds incredibly disappointing, especially after looking forward to your first cruise in decades. It's unfortunate when technology hiccups get in the way of what should be a smooth pre-cruise experience. Hopefully, HAL can resolve these issues promptly and ensure you have a seamless cruise experience. Hang in there, and here's hoping the actual cruise more than makes up for the rocky start!"