Glacier landing AND sled dogs?

A

andrea

Looking for private companies to book excursions with for our upcoming Alaskan cruise. Any suggestions?

One of the things I'm interested in doing is a glacier landing. I'd like to combine it with a sled dog tour. The only "real" sled dog tour (on snow) via helicopter I've been able to find does not involve a glacier landing--only a flyover. Anyone know of a combo tour?

S

sailingrose

Check with Temsco. I believe they had a tour similar to the one you want. They are a wonderful company. Have used them twice. They are also in Skagway and Juneau.

P

PatJ

I know you were asking about the glacier landing. My husband was on a flightseeing trip at Talkeetna and the pilot said it wasn't safe to land on the glacier at this time, So he couldn't land. but the flying was fantastic. Also, you can't go wrong by booking with the Orca Whale Watch in Juneau. It was $104 and worth every penney. The boat is small about 23 passengers, open and closed viewing. The closed viewings had windows that could be opened or not, depending if you were moving or watching. He explained a lot about whales, and their habitat. My husband was really happy with his whale photos, we saw a mother and child. The day we were out, it was too choppy to go to the place he wanted to, but he tried to find more for us to see. On the radio it looked like everyone was having trouble. Even fishing wasn't too good, as they were whale watching too.

M

Marion

There is a glacier that you can fly to outside Vancouver. You'd need to rent a car and drive an hour or so up to the end of Howe Sound to Squamish. The helicopter flight with a glacier landing was slightly more than $100 USD in 1999. The drive from Vancouver to Squamish is beautiful! Here is the web site.

http://www.glacierair.com/ContactUs.htm