Excursion in Belize

old guy

2nd Officer
We made our first trip to Belize in March 2023. As we sailed Celebrity Cruise Line we always use sanctioned excursions by Celebrity just seems safer. We were very surprised by the high prices on the excursions so we chose what was labeled as Scenic Wild Life River Safari at $60.00 each. To get to the port you have to tender which is about a 15 minute ride. Seas were a bit choppy that morning and even though the tender was a large size it was a rocky ride. We got to the port and were led on a short walk to board our boat for the excursion. There were about 30 people in our group and when we got to the boat I saw what was about a 40 to 50 foot boat. All the seats were fiberglass and hard as a rock, for those lucky enough to be in front of the line they got all the seats under the canopy the rest of us had to sit around the edge of the boat there was no elbow room so you sit shoulder to shoulder. As we started a guide told us we had a short ride to the river and were told to put on life vests just in case sometimes the sea is rough and it was that day. As we hit the open sea it was so choppy those of us on the starboard side having the wind at our backs would get soaked from the spray, as this was a two out board motor boat we were clipping along very fast. Once we entered what was called the jungle river it was very slow going. The jungle river turned out to be what I would describe as a canal about like those in Florida, it seemed we were traveling along in peoples back yards as houses lined the canal. A spotter rode at the bow of the boat and would call out wild life as we approached he yelled crocodile and those on the port side we able to see it before it slipped off the log back into the water, the spotter would call out Iguanas and you would see a large Iguana walking across someones back yard. Some type of bird was pointed out and a monkey which I never saw. Some Mantee were pointed out and I witnessed what I thought was a nose appear on top of the water for about two seconds. Then the ride back to port again on choppy seas this time the port side had the spray and all would holler when getting soaked. It was like riding one of those flume rides at an amusement park. The high light of the excursion was rum punch provided by the guides which I took full advantage of ! ! Overall not a bad excursion just not what I had envisioned. So if you don't mind getting slammed around in a 50ft boat, getting soaking wet, and sunburned go for it !

old guy

2nd Officer
I am so glad you did this tour….it saves me from doing it
Red is really wasn't that bad just not what we expected. Plus we have found many excursions are now becoming age restricted if you are over 65 you can't go on many excursions. Hell the 60's Flower Power Cruise we were on everybody is over 65 ! ! !

red stripe

Staff Captain
Oh. I love that "age restriction" rule! many years ago we were on a cruise and happened to see a ships tour that looked interesting. But when we looked at their rules, it said that people over a certain age could not go on it. Well.. as Einstein is younger than me.. and below their restrictions, we went down to book it. We figured that if he booked it for the both of us, they would only look at his age and not mine.. and that is exactly what they did.

But... as we are standing in line to book this tour, the couple standing in front of us was obviously WAY under the age requirement, but they were in terrible shape! and I am looking at them and wondering at the madness that will forbid me to do this just because of my age! it made no sence.

So.. we are on the trip, and this couple never get off the bus! heck.. they had trouble even getting on the bus in the first place!

that meant that the bus driver had to stay with the bus all day! I bet he was thrilled.

Einstein and poor old me... we walked around and had a great day! so much for age restrictions!

And last year.. we did white water rafting down the Grand Canyon. Plus we also did it again in Alaska. OK.. so on the Alaska trip the raft flipped and we ended up in the water..:oops:

red has cut "White water rafting" off her bucket list!

George C

Staff Captain
Red is really wasn't that bad just not what we expected. Plus we have found many excursions are now becoming age restricted if you are over 65 you can't go on many excursions. Hell the 60's Flower Power Cruise we were on everybody is over 65 ! ! !
I thought they were all over 75 , the rock and romance is over 65

old guy

2nd Officer
I thought they were all over 75 , the rock and romance is over 65
We are George some of the excursions would not allow anyone over 65 to take part in some excursions which was all of us on the Flower Power Cruise the wife is 70 and I am 73 I mean I understand they don't want us on Segway's puttering around and some Ruin excursions do have a lot of walking and with the ground and vines ect are trip hazards for us old folks. Not complaining I understand the restrictions . I am old but not restricted on what I can do.

George C

Staff Captain
In general I hate ships excursions, they are overpriced and overcrowded. Normally we just take a taxi to town or beach in Caribbean ports, really prefer staying on the ship after more than 60 caribbean cruises. I turn 74 in June and my better half turns 62 on July 4th. I also have bad knees and 6’ 4” so excursion bus’s suck.

old guy

2nd Officer
In general I hate ships excursions, they are overpriced and overcrowded. Normally we just take a taxi to town or beach in Caribbean ports, really prefer staying on the ship after more than 60 caribbean cruises. I turn 74 in June and my better half turns 62 on July 4th. I also have bad knees and 6’ 4” so excursion bus’s suck.
Agreed George we usually try to get beach excursions but I would just about like to stay on the ship. I don't want to put down port stops I know the people there depend on tourstist for revenue but when you have seen one caribbean island you have seen them all.

VanHalen1980

Belize I've been to this destination twice I highly recommend the Goffs Cay Tour.
I booked it online at Resorts for a Day.
Best ticket in Belize. Second best ticket on Belize is the Wet Lizard Bar and Grill.
Have fun we did.