A story about Kaan my grandson and his dog.

B

BostonsJ

When someone tried to break into my daughter's house, while the house was alarmed and she and the children inside, it was decided that perhaps getting a dog was a good idea.

Audra got a young pup, a Husky from the local shelter about 3 years ago. The dog is a mild little creature, and for the most part until very recently the kids have not shown a lot if interest in him. He is content to go for his walks, to lie in front of the door and protect the house and run in the fenced yard with a friend's dog a few times a week.

Kaan just recently turned 7 and is Autistic. For about 6 months now, he has been playing with Kenei and likes it when Kenei mouths him and laps his face. Autistic children are very tactile and so this is soothing and fun for Kaan. This interest in Kenei is very recent.

Audra has been feeling that she has little or no time to really run Kenei and to take him on the long hikes he would enjoy, to spend a great deal of time with the dog because having 4 children is more than enough for her. One of Kaan's therapists loved Kenei and said Audra if you decide to give him to someone I'd love to have him. Last week she decided to try to give Kenei a home where someone can do all the things she wants for him and so she gave him to the therapist. The kids didn't seem to notice at all. And she felt it was good for Kenei. Of course Kaan being language delayed had not said anything but who knows what he was thinking.

Well everything went well for the first two days and then when the therapist came to the house to work with Kaan and then went home, Kenei became very possessive with her. He wouldn't let her husband near her and would just lie by her side. She realized that Kenei knew she had been to his old home and could smell Kaan on her. After a few days of this behavior the therapist called Audra and said he is acting very strange he just sits by my side and won't let my husband touch me. And so it was agreed that maybe Kenei who had never been aggressive before, would not adjust to a new home.

Kenei came home and immediately went to Kaan and started running through the house playing with him. He now insists on lying next to Kaan when he is doing his trials, (learning therapy) and he is playing and enjoying being back in that house with 4 wild kids. Last night Kaan was doing something he shouldn't have, Kenei took him by the sleeve brought him to Audra in the living room, let go of his shirt sleeve and returned to his place in front of the door. Kaan went off and was getting into mischief again and once again Kenei took ahold of his sleeve and routed him to safety.

It is apparent to us that Kenei has taken on the job of guide dog for Kaan with no training whatsoever. It is an amazing story that a boy is being watched over by a family dog. I know they train guide animals to do this with Autistic kids, to ensure that if they get lost etc that the dog stay by the child's side and keep them out of harm's way. But in this case with no training it appears that animal nature just took over and Kenei believes his role is to be by Kaan's side.

Audra said Mom it is unbelievable. He let us know he needed to be back with Kaan and now he is happy again.

E

ewheelock

Wow, that is an awesome story. Dogs are really smart animals aren't they? It is amazing that he knew that Kaan was doing something wrong.

N

nieciez

What a wonderful story Judy and I am not surprised at all. Yes, some dogs need long walks, especially when they are pets and the folks in the family are at work most of the day, much like me. My vet told me all dogs need "jobs" and Kenei knows instinctively what his "job" is. And playing with 4 kids is plenty of exercise :lol Thanks for sharing this heart warming story with us.

M

Mgram

Judy that is an amazing story..........I've always said that animals are smarter than humans and their instincts SHARP. This is a win-win situation for everyone.......there is a definite bond and communication between Kaan and Kenei.

K

korinalacount

Aww I am sitting here bawling as I read this,to know your special dog got his forever home back with his 4 kids,thanks for sharing!

W

Whimsy

Animals really are amazing and your daughter's dog is wonderful! How lucky they are to have such a special dog for their family.

G

GloBug

Very nice story. It makes you realize that our dogs are more a part of our family than we realize. He is Kaan's little guardian angel here on earth.

B

Beryl

Judy, I haven't come across one of your stories for a long while! This is a great one! What a special dog Kenei is and I suspect the kids, especially Kaan, are so happy to have him back in their home and in their lives. But what really pleases me is that the dog is back where he really wanted and needed to be and where he truly belongs!

S

ShipMaven

What a heartwarming story. It's utterly amazing what our dogs can do - some more, some less. But this story gave me the warm fuzzies. Long-distance scritches for Kenai. I'm glad he's HOME where he belongs.

P

popcorn

What a wonderful story! And what a load off Audra's shoulders, knowing that the dog will be watching Kaan. And Kaan will be giving the dog some exercise. Thanks for sharing.

Liz

K

KathyC

I always get so much enjoyment from reading your stories about the kids but this one was exceptional!

D

Donna - dsw

Wonderful story - maybe when it gets warmer she can take the kids and dog to a park to run and play - - might be good for everyone!

R

RosieRosie

I've seen large dogs react protectively towards children - its heartwarming to know your daughter's dog is watching over Kaan. My cousins had a collie that would keep the toddlers from going too close to the lake near their house. When my kids were little, we lived across the street from a farmlet where there was a flock of sheep and a sheep herding dog which was strictly a working dog. The dog's owner didn't want my kids to distract the dog from it's duties; we were pretty much told to keep our distance. But when my youngest was distraught and crying, you could tell the dog just wanted to run over and rescue my son. Dogs are amazing!

S

seamom

Aww..how sweet and lovely...........boy...I'd love to see the auras around your family...........talk about psychedelia!! :lol With all the spirit stories you have and the rare and unusual things that happen, you must draw spiritual crowds wherever you all go!

R

reggae

I agree with what Seamom said!

I'm so glad this story has such a happy ending. What a wonderful dog and friend.