Chankanaab Park versus Passion Island

L

lindalu62

Not interested in snorkeling, but a beautiful beach, relaxing, decent food and drinks. Which is better??? I know the park is only $10.00 plus taxi to get there, is food available and good? Drinks? Reasonably priced? Passion is $40.00 but includes all food/drinks/transport and sounds very nice. Compare/contrast for us beginners!! Thanks!!

L

lindalu62

Oops! Mistake , Passion Island is 70.00 per person, for about 3 hours on the beach, does seem pretty steep! Is it worth it?? Can you do this excursion on your own for less money?? I hear you can step off the ship and hook up with someone who will take you there and back, is it less money this way????????

S

Sodey

Chankanaab has good drinks and food and the beach is beautiful. Very clean and well kept. Too bad you don't like to snorkel cause that is an added bonus. You can still watch the dolphins etc..

I would go to Chankanaab again if given the choice. Passion island although beautiful as well, is a little steep for the amount of time spent. We stayed at Chankanaab for 2 1/2 to 3 hours. Then went to Carlos and Charlies (Senor Frogs is just above it) and then did some shopping to round out the day.

L

lindalu62

It sounds as if there is a lot more activities at Chankanaab Park, which is one of my concerns. If you are really only interested in relaxing at a great beach, is there a nice, fairly serene beach scene at Chankanaab?? We will be doing a lot of snorkeling, etc. on other excursions, so mainly wanted a relaxing beach type experience in Cozumel. Is this possible at Chankanaab?? Does it have a nice, soft sand beach?? If so, I would go there instead of Passion Island, seems like a much better value!

S

Sodey

The beach is beautiful at Chankanaab and you have a lot of space so you can be as close or far away from other people as you want. Waiters will serve you at your chair food and drinks. They will even run a TAB! They have many chairs and hut type umbrellas. One thing though, the sand beach although wide, white, and beautiful, is above the water line. To swim, you walk down a couple of coral steps with handrails to get to the water which is already fairly deep. There is a raft you can swim out too.

In other words, it isn't a beach where you gradually walk out and it gets deeper and deeper. We are an active family with older teenagers, and they loved the beach.

At Passion Island, the beach is beautiful as well. They filmed the corona beer commercials there. If you want to drink a lot of alcohol and eat a lot of buffet type food.
Taco bar etc.. And you like crowds. And you can afford it. Then do it.

We have 6 people in our family so spending $420.00 for 3 hrs was pretty steep.

For $250.00 we relaxed and drank at Chankanaab for 3 hrs. Taxied to Carlos and Charlies and ate lunch and drank huge margaritas and bought some stuff.

It's all personal preference.

Tom

L

lindalu62

Thanks for the info Tom! I was under the impression based on reading reviews that Passion Island would not be as crowded, that they limit the number of people allowed on??? It sounds from your last post as if it is more crowded than Chan.???

S

Sodey

When we were at Chan it was a lot less crowded than Passion. But, we were like first off the ship, went right to Chan by skipping past all the shops at the dock via taxi (at about 100 mph!) were first on the beach, walked towards the southern end near a bar, restaurant and bathrooms (clean ones). stayed for 3 hours. left about 12:30-1:00 to go to Carlos for lunch. So, it could have gotten more crowded later on. I just looked at my Chan pictures and the whole area near us looks empty! We were there on a Friday.

Either one you choose, you will enjoy.

L

lindalu62

Cool web site--definetly going into favorites for future Mexico vacations!!! Good pics of Chankanaab, but none of Passion Island. I think on this trip, just me and the hubby, will do Passion Island, and save Chankanaab for a trip with the kids!!

Gus78

Not interested in snorkeling, but a beautiful beach, relaxing, decent food and drinks. Which is better??? I know the park is only $10.00 plus taxi to get there, is food available and good? Drinks? Reasonably priced? Passion is $40.00 but includes all food/drinks/transport and sounds very nice. Compare/contrast for us beginners!! Thanks!!

We are first time cruisers and not sure if we should do Passion Island or Chankanaab, hopefully somo of you can help us with some questions.

1.- Can you do some snorkel at Passion Island?

2.- Is it worth to buy the Chankanaab tour with food and drinks or should we just go with the basic package?

3.- Should we buy the cruise package to Chankanaab with transportation and guide or just take a taxi and pay the entrance fee?

4.- How far from the pier is Chankanaab Park?

We would really appreciate any advice!

Thank You All.

randy

2nd Officer
Welcome to Cruise Addicts! I hope that I can be of some help on this topic for you, although I can only address Chakanaab, not having been to Passion Island.
1.- Can you do some snorkel at Passion Island?--Snorkeling at Chakanaab is excellent, some of the best.

2.- Is it worth to buy the Chankanaab tour with food and drinks or should we just go with the basic package?--I would just buy the basic entry fee and then do the food, drinks, and snorkel rental a la carte.

3.- Should we buy the cruise package to Chankanaab with transportation and guide or just take a taxi and pay the entrance fee?--Taxi and entrance fee is the way to go. Anything else is of questionable value. Taxis are lined up at the pier and the price is fixed to the park.

4.- How far from the pier is Chankanaab Park? It's a taxi ride of about 10 minutes; $10 US each way for up to 4 people.

Have a great time!