Zuiderdam 1/4/03 Booked....

D

Denise24

Hubby and I are going to try out Holland America's Zuiderdam early next year. I'm so excited since I've never been on Holland America and have always wanted to try them. This is my early birthday present to myself and we even booked a balcony guarantee to boot. So who knows where we will end up but that's part of the fun for us. Since there are so many veteran Holland America cruises out there, let me know what you like best and worst about Holland America. Like if there is anything bad about them, I wouldn't think so.

Also, is there anyone else out there sailing with us yet on this date? If so, drop me a line. Take care and have a great day.

Denise

B

Bruce

Denise,
Keep in touch with Debbie Mumaw, she will be on the Zuiderdam a couple of weeks before you. I will be on the Zaandam the same time.

What do I like best about HAL? It has to be the service. Hal is what cruising used to be all about, understated elegance, high tea in the afternoon, traditional dining, dressing for dinner and staying dressed for the rest of the evening. They IMHO don't seem to try and nickle and dime you to death. When I sail HAL you truly do feel you are a guest and not a customer. I honestly can't think of anything I don't like.

Enjoy planning your cruise.

Bruce

S

sail7seas

Congratulations on your new booking? We are booked for back-to-backs in the spring and will be very interested in your comments when you return.

Bruce said it well.....ditto (and more....we love HAL)

C

CruisinTex

Congrats on your booking Denise. You might try checking Cruise Tracker here and click on Zuiderdam. It will list everyone sailing on her and you'll be able to see who else might be with you.

Best and worst. Well, Bruce said it all as far as what I like about HAL. I would add wonderful food and the staff remembers your name after you only meet them one time.
Can't think of anything I don't like.

D

Debbie Mumaw

Denise, Saw that Bruce told you to contact me. We are so excited about our cruise too. We will be on the Dec. 14 inaugural. It is our first time also. Let's compare notes. All our recent cruises have been on RCCL and they were great but we are anxious to try another line. Stay in touch! Deb

A

AnneS

We have a Volendam cruise coming up & had to have our passports renewed -Then we needed to take them down to Laurie-our TA -WE have an Oosterdam cruise in November 2003 -Oosterdam is the SAME[ sister ship] to Zuiderdam -So Laurie had a promotional booklet with drawings of the new ship [yours!] To show us what ours will look like! I'm THRILLED to see a "real life drawing of!"
Anne:CO:usa:daisy

S

sail7seas

I have that "booklet" also Anne. I had a wonderful time poring through it. Zuiderdam will be a real change from the current fleet. Anxious to see her.

Congrats on the Oosterdam booking...they should have any kinks worked out when the second in the series comes out.

D

Debbie Mumaw

Anne, we are looking at the Oosterdam for the Dec. 14, 2003 cruise. Since we will be on the Zuiderdam the same week this year we are thinking of booking while onboard. Anxious to see what you think. We are waiting to see that booklet you are talking about.

A

AnneS

Sail7Seas. The lay-out LOOKS more like the Millennium -with about a hundred fewer passengers! [Outside midships elevators -stern cabins] The cruise we booked on the Oosterdam is basically a "back-to-back" -Fly to Venice [ I've been there -DH hasn't -and I want him to see that MOST beautiful and intriguing of cities!] Cruise -Venice to Lisbon, Lisbon to Florida........MY cruise is fairly port intensive along the Mediteranean coasts -I LOVED the ports I saw.....HIS cruise is the TransAtlantic -"Lots of at-sea days" his idea of PURE heaven! This is MOST of November 2003! Anne:daisy:CO:usa

L

Lady Jag(Bobbie)

Denise - We've never been on HAL either - just wanted to say, :party "Whoohoo!! Yippee!" for booking the Zuiderdam! We're also booked on it, but for next July, so we'll be counting on you to fill us in on all the details!

Wow Anne, that's a great cruise (or cruiseS) you've got planned!

D

Debbie Mumaw

Bruce, I think you seem to get to cruise more often than we do. Maybe you are the one rubbing it in. Actually, that really long crossing cruise sounds too wonderful! She's the one rubbing it in. Making us all drool. Please remember to fill us in, Anne.

B

Bruce

Anne,
Don't say anything to Debbie, but what are the dates on the long crossing. :nono

D

Denise24

It took me a little while to get back here to read responses but thanks to everyone for taking the time to respond. I'm now really looking forward to it...hurry up January. It sounds just lovely. But in the meantime I'll just have to settle for my next cruise which is 9/1 on Carnival Paradise. Right now I really need a vacation. Thanks and I'll keep everyone posted on the Zuiderdam when I return!

A

AnneS

I think its MOST of November -2003. With the back to back -its just under 30 days. We really dislike the longer travel days! Last time coming back from Barcelona with about 30 of the Longmont group -we were 27 hours! Stuck for 7 hours or so in Chicago with about half the group hacking away with bronchitis [ I never get sick] finally got into Colorado at 2AM. THIS is the reasoning behind the back-to-backs. I found another transAtlantic today that looks "neat" It CAN be a 30+ day circle cruise from Boston -July 12,2003 northern route to Rotterdam, Netherlands -and back- slightly different return route......I punched in 1/2 the cruise and got previous passenger minis at - I think $6000 + or - WITH air out of DEnver. Thats just ball-park figure. PP of course!
We did a Caronia[ Cunard] transAtlantic this LAST April- to South Hampton + 4 days in LONDON that was pure BLISS; WONDERFUL rates -Cunard discounts as previous passenger in the Carnival FAMILY. Its fun to do my "homework" on the internet and go to my TA PREPARED with what we think we want! We have NEVER had a cruise we DIDn'T LOVE! HAL is our overall favorite line -We love seeing "Old friends" on the staff that recognize us [ HOW do they DO that!:smile] from ship to ship. The rooms are really good sized ESPECIALLY comparing the same rooms on other lines......And they usually have an itinerary that looks terrific! You REALLY have to decide what works for YOU [ Frustration runs high when someone says "What's 'the best' cruise/line/ship/itinerary" IT DEPENDS! WE found what works FOR US!Anne:usa:CO:daisy