World cruise 18th instalment, days 64 to 66, St. John's Newfoundland.

Jill B

The roaming Aussie
Day 64: Docked in the busy harbour, it was cold and windy so we rugged up well and went in search of the Hop-on Hop-off bus. This turned out to be a good choice, as the bus took us around a lot of sights and the driver gave us plenty of interesting information about the area. We stopped at Signal Hill and learned the history, then drove through town and wound up and down the hills to Cape Spear, the easternmost point of the North American continent. There were old cannons there, and a lighthouse, it was interesting to wander around the site and read the plaques.
Back on the bus to town, then we walked around exploring, found a quilt shop where I purchased a small fabric panel, then we found the grog shop and bought a bottle of Canadian wine :beer2:
The sun had come out and we were hot with our jackets and scarves; it was a beautiful afternoon. Sailaway was 6pm, with many passengers around the pool area enjoying the sunshine and music.
It seemed a tight fit through the Narrows to exit the harbour, and just outside there were a lot of whales playing. Quite a sight! I didn't get any good photos as I was too busy watching the magnificent creatures.

Day 65: at sea, we saw plenty of dolphins and porpoises. Foghorn again this evening.

Day 66: at sea. Fog around the ship, but sunny above. Foghorn every 2 minutes, again.
The fog finally lifted and the weather is warming up. Feels like we have been cold a long time.
The Crew talent show tonight was a lot of fun.

I set the alarm for 1am so I could be up top to watch us sail into New York, and I had dressed in warm clothes expecting it to be cold. hahahahah! Wrong. It was hot, even right up the front of the ship. It was great to sail past the Statue of Liberty, all lit up, and seeing all the city lights. A party boat was following us, people calling and waving phone lights at us.
Coming into the berth, I thought how are we going to fit in here? The space looked so small from where I was standing.
Back to bed at 3am.

Next port, 2 days in New York.

Lighthouse at Cape Spear, Newfoundland.
St Johns6.jpg

Busy St. John's harbour.
St Johns8.jpg

Our ship in town.
St Johns.jpg

Cute little pup.
St Johns5.jpg

A shop in town.
dildo.jpg

Signal Hill.
signal hill.jpg

Signal Hill, and cute houses from our ship.
St Johns7.jpg

Approaching The Narrows.
St Johns3.jpg

bob

Community Manager Part Time Dinosaur
Staff member
Great pictures. !.!.!
but with my sense of humor...........
you know i'm not going to touch this.............

dildo.jpg

Jill B

The roaming Aussie
well bob.................................... I wasn't sure if I should post that pic, knowing you would see it :emoticon 0184 tmi: :emoticon 0138 thinking: :emoticon 0136 giggle:

BSeabob

Forum Manager
Staff member
I'm glad you had good weather that day. Its quite a town. The people are crazy wonderful. Spent a week there once. As soon as a saw the pic I knew boB would be all over it. There have been a few conversations over the name of the small NFLD town of that name in the past. Jill was that on George St. The home of the famous festival. I was lucky to hit it when I visited the The George Street Festival Wall to wall pubs and restaurants.

bob

Staff member
well bob.................................... I wasn't sure if I should post that pic, knowing you would see it :emoticon 0184 tmi: :emoticon 0138 thinking: :emoticon 0136 giggle:
Consider yourself lucky this time .......... :!O!:

bob

Staff member
The Dildo Museum was quite interesting also...not what you might think boBert! Great pics, Jill...I am enjoying your adventure!
I hope not.................

Jill B

The roaming Aussie
I'm glad you had good weather that day. Its quite a town. The people are crazy wonderful. Spent a week there once. As soon as a saw the pic I knew boB would be all over it. There have been a few conversations over the name of the small NFLD town of that name in the past. Jill was that on George St. The home of the famous festival. I was lucky to hit it when I visited the The George Street Festival Wall to wall pubs and restaurants.
I don't know what the street names were, sorry BSea :conf05:

bob

Staff member
Bob, she wasn't paying attention, when she saw the brewery she lost all control.................

Just a good thing they didn't name the festival after the brewery

BSeabob

Forum Manager
Staff member
I don't know what the street names were, sorry BSea :conf05:
Its not like you'll ever go back to find it either....lol BUT if you should happen to find yourself there again...... YOu could walk through the Dildo store and out the back & find yourself in the back of George Street. Bars. :beer4: Its a small compact downtown .