What size cabin?

spikesgirl

3rd Officer
I'm sure that this has been asked before, but here I am.

What is the smallest cabin that you will take on a ship? Does it vary from line to line or are you set on a certain style (like inside or balcony) of cabin more than cost?

How much time do you spend in it once you get on board?

PEB

Staff Captain
The smallest cabin I was in on a cruise ship was my cabin when I worked on cruise ships. I could touch the walls by spreading my arms out and two of us were in the cabin. As a passenger as long as I am on the ship I am fine I often take inside cabins. Smallest passenger cabin was probably on the Independence an inside cabin.

The size of the cabin depends on the ship and cruise line. I have found on Princess I have run into some of the smaller cabins. On Carnival and HAL I have found some of the biggest cabins especially when it comes to inside cabins. I have done balconies and most are close in size but again some of the smallest were on Princess.

spikesgirl

3rd Officer
We had just the
The smallest cabin I was in on a cruise ship was my cabin when I worked on cruise ships. I could touch the walls by spreading my arms out and two of us were in the cabin. As a passenger as long as I am on the ship I am fine I often take inside cabins. Smallest passenger cabin was probably on the Independence an inside cabin.

The size of the cabin depends on the ship and cruise line. I have found on Princess I have run into some of the smaller cabins. On Carnival and HAL I have found some of the biggest cabins especially when it comes to inside cabins. I have done balconies and most are close in size but again some of the smallest were on Princess.

We have just the opposite experiences with the larger cabins on Princess and the smaller ones on Carnival. it was one reason why we decided to stick with Princess. Of course, we tend to sail on the Pacific and those cabins are more reflective of the now defunct Renaissance line

George C

Staff Captain
We always book suites , more for the perks than size. Although we do a larger cabin, our last cruise in February we had a royal suite on a Celebrity music charter, it was a little bit of a waste since because of all the music we didn’t spend that much time in the cabin.

bob

Community Manager Part Time Dinosaur
Staff member
Balcony on Princess but haven't been in one in a while. Have become kindof partial to their mini suites and that's another reason we stick with the Grand Class size they have the perfect mini, at least for us on Emerald aft and we do spend a lot of time in cabin on the balcony

John

I'm on Island Time
Staff member
As a couple we are pretty flexible and can be happy with a standard inside cabin (you sleep like a baby). However, We try to book atleast a balcony.

When cruising as a family (4) of us now. We book a balcony with bunk beds if possible or could book two connecting cabins or nearby. We're pretty much happy to get on the ship and based the price and budget, ship we'll adjust as needed.

We'll always look for deals. Especially guaranteed category cabins, special rates, lower rate salings, etc.

Great question @spikesgirl !

BSeabob

Forum Manager
Staff member
and cabin on X 170 and up is just fine. Was in an inside on RCCL in a virtual cabin. pretty small but was ok for a week and slept real well. Picture from their Vertical TV was not worth any extra money however. RCCL Song of America inside, first cruise. Really really tiny. But got me hooked.

Funnel

Food and Beverage Manager- Special Contributor
I usually book a regular balcony cabin. Have cruised in suites on Royal Caribbean a couple of times. My first cruise I was upgraded from a Junior Suite to a Royal Family Suite on Voyager of the Seas, which was nice.
Don’t spend too much time in the cabin, but like to sit on the balcony with a beer or a glass of wine and some snacks while looking for dolphins or whales.

/Erik

Jill B

The roaming Aussie
Last few Princess cruises we had inside cabins, because of the cost. (it can be expensive cruising down here) 106 days last year in an inside. It was tight, but we managed :)
We have booked an obstructed view for our next cruise, hopefully the cabin will be bigger.

spikesgirl

3rd Officer
We always book suites , more for the perks than size. Although we do a larger cabin, our last cruise in February we had a royal suite on a Celebrity music charter, it was a little bit of a waste since because of all the music we didn’t spend that much time in the cabin.
As a couple we are pretty flexible and can be happy with a standard inside cabin . However, We try to book atleast a balcony.

When cruising as a family (4) of us now. We book a balcony with bunk beds if possible or could book two connecting cabins or nearby. We're pretty much happy to get on the ship and based the price and budget, ship we'll adjust as needed.

We'll always look for deals. Especially guaranteed category cabins, special rates, lower rate salings, etc.

Great question @spikesgirl !

(you sleep like a baby) - does that mean you wake up every two hours crying? - Sorry, old joke, but I couldn't resist.

When we booked our first cruise, it was late and all we could get was a cabin with portholes. The next time, we got a suite and that was that. We tend to spend a lot of time in our cabin, though, so for us, it's worth it.

spikesgirl

3rd Officer
Balcony on Princess but haven't been in one in a while. Have become kindof partial to their mini suites and that's another reason we stick with the Grand Class size they have the perfect mini, at least for us on Emerald aft and we do spend a lot of time in cabin on the balcony

Sounds like us and the Pacific. We know what we like and we would rather cruise less and get the cabin type we want than be stuck in a rotten cabin.

spikesgirl

3rd Officer
and cabin on X 170 and up is just fine. Was in an inside on RCCL in a virtual cabin. pretty small but was ok for a week and slept real well. Picture from their Vertical TV was not worth any extra money however. RCCL Song of America inside, first cruise. Really really tiny. But got me hooked.

Our first cabin was so tiny that they had to bring in a chair for my husband's feet. He hung over the end of the bed by about a foot. Small cabins don't work well with a very tall husband. :DD

spikesgirl

3rd Officer
I usually book a regular balcony cabin. Have cruised in suites on Royal Caribbean a couple of times. My first cruise I was upgraded from a Junior Suite to a Royal Family Suite on Voyager of the Seas, which was nice.
Don’t spend too much time in the cabin, but like to sit on the balcony with a beer or a glass of wine and some snacks while looking for dolphins or whales.

/Erik

Having a balcony is so worth it. I think I would have enjoyed our first cruise more if we'd had one.

spikesgirl

3rd Officer
Last few Princess cruises we had inside cabins, because of the cost. (it can be expensive cruising down here) 106 days last year in an inside. It was tight, but we managed :)
We have booked an obstructed view for our next cruise, hopefully the cabin will be bigger.
Wow, my hat is off to you. We only cruise once a year (0r even every other year) to be able to afford the sort of cabin we want. I keep thinking of some advice I got years ago. Never take a cabin any smaller than one you are willing to stay in for 24 hours. The pandemic really drove that point home to me.