What is the best way to check for price drops?

Stormy76

I just wanted to check with others on how they check for price drops. (I am happy with our booking price and even found one price drop and qualified for it so not complaining at all!)

I have been using Carnival's website: http://www.carnival.com/BookingEngine/FareViewer/#
Is this the best way?

PS I love that I found this site, there has been a lot of helpful info on here.
My husband and I took our one and only cruise in 2001 and always wanted to do it again and take our daughters but soemthing always got in the way. Now we find ourselves running out of precious time as our girls are in high school and one will be preparing for college next year. We decided that no matter what we would take a real family vacation and of course cruising was our first choice. We leave on Carnival Liberty in October and we are all super excited!!!

Thanks to all the helpful posters out there!
Stormy

Cruizer

Staff Captain
That is how I do it. Just pretend you are going to book the same cruise in the same cabin category and see what price you get.

John

I'm on Island Time
Staff member
A good travel agent will check this for you as part of their services. Especially before your final payment.

Minkster1973

I use http://www.cruisefish.net/.

I think I paid $9.95 and after I set up the alert for my booked cruise, I have received one price drop alert so far. After speaking with my PVP, she said to expect seeing more throughout the holidays, so I'm excited to start getting additional OBC.

bob

Community Manager Part Time Dinosaur
Staff member
as John said a "good travel agent" will keep tabs on price drops, incentives, and anything else that benefits their client, why pay for it.................
Or as Jamman says use the resources that Carnival provides.......... again why pay when you get it for free..

hedy67

Waiter
So if you book today, and it goes down in a month- and you catch it, you can contact Carnival and they will do an adjustment?

bob

Community Manager Part Time Dinosaur
Staff member
Yes unless there would be some restrictions on the lower price. Sometimes special pricing is given because of geographical locations,
sometimes due to other specific offers but for the most part if it is a general price reduction and it affects the category you have booked
they will honor the new pricing. Jamman can probably give you more accurate information on exactly how Carnival handles it.

BSeabob

Forum Manager
Staff member
You must get a "Good" TA to track it for you. They can be hard to find sometimes. I use the free service that Cruisfish offers.

MAGNUM

A related question:

I booked an Early Saver on a Carnival cruise. Part of offer was $99 deposit, plus price protection.

I have read elsewhere that you have to have paid the full deposit amount, to be eligible, for price protection? This contradicts the special offer I accepted,
of reduced deposit.

Plus, I read that if you do file for a lower cruise price, you automatically forfeit your reserved csbin. Is this true?

Gayle V

Cruiser's Compass Editor
Hello Magnum,

Carnival's Early Saver fares do give you price protection, but only if you compare apples to apples. Meaning that the lower fare that you find later has to be the same category (not just same type of cabin). Example we booked a 7C cove balcony cabin for next February on the Vista. If I find a 7C on the same ship, same sailing, for a lower price we will get it, if I submit the proper form that you can find on the Carnival page.

And even if the new lower price was for the exact category, unless the new deal offered a cabin credit, we'd lose the $100 cabin credit we received when we booked. And since we paid only the 50% deposit special, unless the new deal specifies a lower than normal deposit we'd have to pay more deposit too.

Also there are limited number of cove balconies. Supposing those sell out: If a higher category, like a balcony on higher deck, goes for a lower price, we'd likely have to move to that location, and get that category of cabin, to get the lower price. So that would be a situation where you could lose your cabin choice. (Both would be balcony cabins, but not both 7C).

Also, if you spy a better advertised price on line, be sure to take a screen shot of the page. It may be needed to prove the lower price, because the deals change fairly often, There's no telling if that might happen five minutes after you discover it.

BSeabob

Forum Manager
Staff member
Depending on the "Rules" of your specific cruise line the general answer is yes. Contact your booking agent and bring the price change to their attention and request the lower price. Usually it has to be before final payment. After final payment there are pesky rules that cost more than the price difference .. Like losing your deposit and serious stuff like that. But even after final payment you can sometimes get upgraded to a better category as a trade off. BUT make sure the new cabin is really an upgrade to you. Sometimes cabins in a so called upgrade are not where you want to be on the ship. Fore, aft, under restaurant, no sun etc. A good TA is a bonus. Enface on the GOOD