What is a lower bed?

S

Skyglider

Planning to book our first cruise. Looking at a cruise on Holland's Amsterdam. In the suite description it says paraphrasing "two lower beds that can be joined as a Queen".

What are lower beds? How are they different from "twin beds that can be joined as a Queen"? Is a lower bed the same as a twin bed except that the top of the bed is lower than normal? Are lower beds just as comfortable as normal beds?

If anyone has stayed in an Amsterdam suite or stateroom with "lower beds", please explain what they are and if you liked them.

Thanks,
Skyglider

S

sage

You are correct. The lower beds are twin beds that may be joined together to form a queen bed. On cruise ships, sometimes they have upper and lower beds, like bunk beds, so the term lower is used to discribe a bed that is not an upper bed.

S

Skyglider

Sage & Krazy Kruizers,
Thanks for your replies.

We have a choice between two adjacent rooms that are near the elevators. One is one room further away from the elevators but has the triangle flag indicating lower beds are used. The other room does not have a triangle flag (I guess indicating that twin beds are used).

If it were you, would you reserve the room with the lower beds (only one room futher away from the elevators) or the room without any flag?

Thanks again,
Skyglider

S

sage

If you want to sleep in a queen bed, then you would need to take the cabin where the triangle indicates that this cabin has two lower beds that can be pushed together to form a queen bed. Some cabins have beds that can not be pushed together, and if you wanted to sleep in twin beds, not a queen, then a cabin without the triangle would be needed. I would certainly check with your travel agent to make sure of the configuration of the beds and then decide which works best for you.

By the way, welcome to the board. There are some really great people here with tons of information to share.

S

Skyglider

[quote sage]If you want to sleep in a queen bed, then you would need to take the cabin where the triangle indicates that this cabin has two lower beds that can be pushed together to form a queen bed. Some cabins have beds that can not be pushed together, and if you wanted to sleep in twin beds, not a queen, then a cabin without the triangle would be needed. I would certainly check with your travel agent to make sure of the configuration of the beds and then decide which works best for you.

By the way, welcome to the board. There are some really great people here with tons of information to share.[/quote]
Sage,

Thanks for the welcome and thanks for your quick responses. We'll be doing a lot of reading on this board as there is so much to learn about crusing and shore excursions.

Skyglider

4Shepherds

Deck Crew
First time cruiser and am curious if making a queen bed is comfortable? There is a "split" down the middle and does not look comfortable if you were to rollover... Are the twin beds decent quality? I have a compressed T12 and require a decent bed... Any help is greatly appreciated! Looking to book NCL Prima.