What are you reading?

red stripe

Staff Captain
responding to the "good morning" thread, gave me the idea for this subject.

What are you reading?

what type of books do you like" what books do you recommend?

I just finished reading my way through John Sanford "Prey" series. It was 32 books, and I enjoyed the character Lucas Davenport.

Then I moved on to his "Virgil Flowers" series.. 12 or 13 books. I was not too sure about the Virgil Flowers character when I started the first book, but got to really enjoy the character as I continued to read.

Today I am reading books by C.J. Box . The first one is called "Open Season", and has only 316 pages, so easy to get through.

I also love reading history, Nature, OK.. darn near everything..:read:

BSeabob

Forum Manager
Staff member
Virgil one of my favourite guys. Davenport kinda lost his way for a few books but overall a good series.

Just started John Grishams newest after being on the wait list for what seems about a year.
There’s a list of books to get into all of his books in order. Interesting progression.
Latest is called Sparring Partners and I assume he’s into lawyers again. :)

Funnel

Food and Beverage Manager- Special Contributor
Well… maybe not the same type of book, but I’m just now reading ”Autodesk Fusion 360 for beginners” as I have to learn Autodesk Fusion (a cad program). I have read more exciting books though... ;)

There are a few books I would like to read but for some reason have not done it yet, like for example the Lord of the Ring books.
Once in a while I read a book by my favorite Swedish author Björn Hellberg. It’s easy reading, but he has a rather ”colorful” language in his books. I’m not sure they are translated to English.

/Erik

red stripe

Staff Captain
Erik,
I read the Lord of the Rings books years ago, and loved them.
and “ Watership Down”, i have read multiple times, the wabbits on this board should read it.
And all the ” Dune” books.

and on another theme.. I have read most of Winston Churchills books.
And Carl Sagan books…

” Cad..Fortran..”. Etc.. I suffered through them when they first came out.. when the computer screen was black with a yellowish script…yes….back in the very old times :cool2:

those programs are now so basic to what you are dealing with. I would not know how to begin. Good for you!

a friend of ours has just had a book published, It is called .”.ARE-4
I know.. an odd title, but you will understand it as you read the book.
it will really make you think! I loved it, and am about to read it again. He is a very smart man.

back to the books..lol

BSeabob

Forum Manager
Staff member
Your next read should be. Richard Osman. 3 books in series. Of The Thursday murder club. For mature readers. . You’ll see what I mean.

glo-ree-bee

Staff Captain
I am reading slowly, because of some eye problems. The Secret Diary of Hendrik Groen 83 1/4 Years Old. It is a novel but it reads almost like something from someone's real life experiences. It all takes place in a nursing home in a home for the elderly. It has a lot of mirth but also sad times in it and is eye opening at what can happen in homes etc where we seldom visit mainly because for us we don't need any depression. It takes place in Holland but it could be from any where in the buildings we drive by with averted eyes! When I finish this I will tell you the other books I have read rather recently.

red stripe

Staff Captain
BSea.. just went on the "wait list" for them at the library.
They must be popular.. none available right now, and one has a wait time of 10 weeks :)
Thanks for the recommendation.

And you might like "ARE-4"

just an unusual book that gets you thinking.

Glo.. eyes are why I read on my tablet :spineyes:
I have always had poor vision, even as a child. Perhaps all that reading, plus lacemaking, cross stitch in miniature (one thread over one thread) has something to do with it:conf05:

I will have to think about your book.. Not because I am hiding my head in the sand.. but because for about a year, I did hospital visits to give respiratory treatments, instead of being based on one hospital. So some of those "hospitals" were nursing homes etc.

They can be dark places. they need to be administered better, and come under more scrutiny.
Plus more vetting for the staff.

NO.. not all are bad, and there are a lot of very compassionate and kind staff. But we need to do better for our most vulnerable people.

But when you do finish it, please tell me how it left you feeling in the end.

George C

Staff Captain
My favorite author is definitely David Baldacci have read all his books , now reading Micheal Connelly . Also Lee Child.

red stripe

Staff Captain
George.. both favorite authors of mine.

Lee Child - Jack Reacher…..should be played by Gerard Butler…..just sayin…..

BSeabob

Forum Manager
Staff member
My favorite author is definitely David Baldacci have read all his books , now reading Micheal Connelly . Also Lee Child.
read them all.

BSeabob

Forum Manager
Staff member
BSea.. just went on the "wait list" for them at the library.
They must be popular.. none available right now, and one has a wait time of 10 weeks :)
Thanks for the recommendation.

And you might like "ARE-4"

just an unusual book that gets you thinking.
Red/ Yes very popular these days. Try to get to them in order but not vital. Just holds the people to gether better but the stories completely different.

red stripe

Staff Captain
I will do that. I always read in order, even if it means a wait.

although the stories may be different, but I like to see the characters develope..
thanks.

George C

Staff Captain
We are doing a charter music cruise in 2 months one of the artist is Don Felder formally of the Eagles , his biography was excellent he signed the book for us on a previous cruise, also have a signed book by Rita Coolidge her book was really interesting.

red stripe

Staff Captain
BSea.. still waiting for those books.. I think they are saying my wait is down to four weeks now.
in the meantime I am reading CJ Box books, finished “Winter kill” last night. Today I will re-read one of the Lee Child books. I love his books.
I have “ The Enemy “ loaded up and ready to go.
and yes George, David Baldacci, Michael Connelly etc. great writers all.
Have any of you read the Barry Eisler “ John Rain” series? Every time I see a “ John Wick” movie, I feel that it is based on the Eisler books.

How about Harlan Coben books? Anyone read them? I enjoyed reading his stuff.

so many books..so little time… :read:

George C

Staff Captain
I like Harlan Coben actually he was recommended on this site a decade ago or so but really prefer his Myron and Win books , I have read all those. I see if I can find Barry Eisler. I normally just read paperbacks which I buy at half price books.

BSeabob

Forum Manager
Staff member
Red/ I had to wait forever for Osmans books in order. Finally gave up and read the last two first. :)
Does Coben have new stuff? I read all up to about the start of Covid. Haven't visited his site lately.
CJBox...eh! will have a peek. Getting dry for new reads.
Done Child of course.
YOu got some other Brit Detective series in your recommendations ?

red stripe

Staff Captain
Good morning bookworms.
BSea.... I only find the old Coben books, nothing new. C.J.Box, his main character is a Game Warden, so an interesting twist on the crime scene.

Martha Grimes books were good, but perhaps a bit slower than the modern day "slice em up" books, but I did enjoy them.
Michael Dobbs.. his "house of cards" was made into a movie and TV series. Wow.. those politicians in England play rough! lol

And for a wonderful "stand alone" book..... Just a wonderful read...
Tom Mitchell: "The Penguin Lessons" :love06: YEP.. I LOVE it.

Right before Covid, we were on our Antarctic cruise. Well, seeing the penguins was high on my bucket list. So while reading up on them, I stumbled over this book. It is about a young guy, going to South America to teach in a boys school. on the way he finds this penguin.

The story is funny, and heartening, and just blew me away! It is a TRUE story.

I highly recommend it to everyone!

and regarding that cruise.. I am adding a sidebar post.. as it is so funny.

BSeabob

Forum Manager
Staff member
I'll be checking those out. Still stuck in Grisham's latests novels ....he's written that collection of shorts I mentioned and after looking at his list online 2-3 others since I last was reading him pre covid. But I can only take so much lawyer stuff lol

red stripe

Staff Captain
I just read Harlan Coben..” The Stranger”

WOW! What an amazing plot. More twists and turns than a pot of spaghetti!
if you have not read that one, give it a try.

And I agree about Grisham, he is a great storyteller, but I have to take breaks between all that lawyering ‍