Welcome to the MSC forum

bob

Community Manager Part Time Dinosaur
Staff member
There have been some requests for a specific place to discuss MSC topics and interests. Well here it is, please enjoy and talk MSC to your hearts content.

BSeabob

Forum Manager
Staff member
MSC all the way. Go.

nlb1050

2nd Officer
We love MSC. We have done 11 cruises with them and have two more booked. All of our cruises with them are Caribbean but that is fine with us. Last cruise with MSC Jan/Feb 2020 I found that I am now Diamond but hubby is not, found that is due to me being the one paying for everything, guess we need to put his card on the next cruise.

bob

Staff member
Well about time he paid for "something"

BSeabob

Forum Manager
Staff member
We love MSC. We have done 11 cruises with them and have two more booked. All of our cruises with them are Caribbean but that is fine with us. Last cruise with MSC Jan/Feb 2020 I found that I am now Diamond but hubby is not, found that is due to me being the one paying for everything, guess we need to put his card on the next cruise.
All joking aside that does not sound right. Should be time on ship for each of you.. Right? Check with them.

nlb1050

2nd Officer
All joking aside that does not sound right. Should be time on ship for each of you.. Right? Check with them.
we did check once on board and it is correct. the reason is MSC counts how much money you spend on board and 100% of our spending is mine as we use a credit card under my name for all purchases, his and mine so I became Diamond.

bob

Staff member
we did check once on board and it is correct. the reason is MSC counts how much money you spend on board and 100% of our spending is mine as we use a credit card under my name for all purchases, his and mine so I became Diamond.
So next time you're in a suite and he sails in steerage............
But that as Bsea says is really a poor policy

BSeabob

Forum Manager
Staff member
So what exactly do you as the credit card holder get that the non Diamond slacker that you travel with doesn't. ?? Asking for a friend.

ppbparker

Hi MSC Fans! I have been on Celebrity, Royal Caribbean, Princess, Norwegian, Holland America, Costa, Crystal and Carnival but never on MSC. I have a couple of questions, please. There are a couple of reasons why I am considering them at this point. First, I usually cruise in a single cabin and MSC is not charging single supplements for their cruises in September and October, which is a huge plus for me. Second, my daughter and her husband often accompany me on cruises. I am fully vaccinated but they are not, and MSC does not require vaccinations. However, I have heard from others that on some lines those who are vaccinated and those who are not are treated differently and only fully vaccinated guests are allowed to do and go to certain places. I’ve also heard that those who are not fully vaccinated are treated poorly and verbally abused by other guests. While I don’t agree with my daughter’s and her husband’s choices, I do respect their right to choose, and it’s not an issue for us. I would appreciate your comparisons of MSC with some of the other cruise lines and ships and also about the vaccination issue. The only line I did not enjoy was Costa, so if MSC is anything like them, it won’t be for me. Thanks so much!

Motownvoice

Youth Counselor
"... those who are vaccinated and those who are not are treated differently and only fully vaccinated guests are allowed to do and go to certain places. I’ve also heard that those who are not fully vaccinated are treated poorly and verbally abused by other guests..."

As relates to MSC USA, MSC does marginalize anti-vaxers but it's only because they've been pushed in to a corner by Florida's governor with threats of lawsuits if they tried enforcing a vaccine requirement (which in my opinion, is the only true and logical way to resume cruising, especially since 1/3 of the country has made refusing to get vaccinated a battle cry.)

But the kinds of things that differentiate a vaxer from an anti-vaxing passenger are a) requiring testing, which is a minor compromise for people who don't wish to make others' health a priority, b) traveling in an "excursion bubble" which means you only go where the guide goes. No dining at restaurants, no shopping in the stores, and c) a compulsory Covid insurance purchase (vaxers get the coverage for free in the US.

All of those things might seem like a pain in the butt, the alternative - being banned from boarding, is worse. But again, you're hearing this from someone who doesn't believe anti-vaxers should be allowed on any cruise ships.

As far as verbal abuse from other passengers, that would only be anecdotal and you would have to just take peoples' word for it. I don't. Again, we're talking about people who have taken an aggressive, confrontational, oppositional stance against cooperating with a Covid protocol. So they would be more suspect, in my opinion for being abusive than people who just go with the program and try to have a cruise without any drama.

ppbparker

As relates to MSC USA, MSC does marginalize anti-vaxers but it's only because they've been pushed in to a corner by Florida's governor with threats of lawsuits if they tried enforcing a vaccine requirement (which in my opinion, is the only true and logical way to resume cruising, especially since 1/3 of the country has made refusing to get vaccinated a battle cry.)

But the kinds of things that differentiate a vaxer from an anti-vaxing passenger are a) requiring testing, which is a minor compromise for people who don't wish to make others' health a priority, b) traveling in an "excursion bubble" which means you only go where the guide goes. No dining at restaurants, no shopping in the stores, and c) a compulsory Covid insurance purchase (vaxers get the coverage for free in the US.

All of those things might seem like a pain in the butt, the alternative - being banned from boarding, is worse. But again, you're hearing this from someone who doesn't believe anti-vaxers should be allowed on any cruise ships.

As far as verbal abuse from other passengers, that would only be anecdotal and you would have to just take peoples' word for it. I don't. Again, we're talking about people who have taken an aggressive, confrontational, oppositional stance against cooperating with a Covid protocol. So they would be more suspect, in my opinion for being abusive than people who just go with the program and try to have a cruise without any drama.
What a well thought out response, Walter.....thank you.

bob

Staff member
Looks like you both got a little carried away, please take a step back and a deep breath

I understand that feathers can not be ruffled. Covid became political. And it did not have to be. Cruise Lines may have to realize there will for now on be people cruising with different views as it did not in the past. In Florida and Georgia there are may people who drive to ports for cruises. Many of them are not Progs. And bob you are right.

mpp191919

Hi ! We have a cruise booked on september 11th from Barcelona. We booked the trip on the US website since we live half of the year in Florida, but are canadien residents. We will be travelling from Canada. Will we be allowed boarding since right now only US en Shengan residents are allowed until august 31?

BSeabob

Forum Manager
Staff member
Hi ! We have a cruise booked on september 11th from Barcelona. We booked the trip on the US website since we live half of the year in Florida, but are canadien residents. We will be travelling from Canada. Will we be allowed boarding since right now only US en Shengan residents are allowed until august 31?
I think you want to know if you will be allowed to board. No one here can answer that for you. Check with your cruise line.