Trip to Greece, Turkey, Egypt, April 2010

Joyce and Don

We have reservations on RC leaving April 24 from Rome. Anyone been to the ports in Greece, Turkey, Egypt that have suggestions on reputable tour companies for the ports? What was your experience? We are new to the forum but experienced cruisers. We would welcome your input.:)

Conniemc

3rd Officer
I used the ship's excursions almost exclusively (just easier - they all do the same places, for a few dollars more I'd rather have the line handle it) and found them excellent.

BruinSteve

Environmental Compliance Officer
We have reservations on RC leaving April 24 from Rome. Anyone been to the ports in Greece, Turkey, Egypt that have suggestions on reputable tour companies for the ports? What was your experience? We are new to the forum but experienced cruisers. We would welcome your input.:)

Well...let me chime in here...
I've done several Europe cruises..the most recent this past June/July on Oceania that included ports in Turkey and Egypt...

When we visited Turkey in 2006, we used Ekol Travel for private tours in Istanbul and Kusadasi...these were all private tours for two and we thought Ekol was very good...and very reasonably priced......

This last cruise, we used them again in Kusadasi for a tour for 4 and again thought they did a wonderful job...I highly recommend them...

In Istanbul this time, we used another guide for a tour for 4--arranged by one of our ship mates...Although this guide came highly recommended on cruise websites, we were not that impressed...on a number of levels...We wished we would have used Ekol again...

For Egypt, we decided to forego private options, instead taking a shore excursion in Alexandria...and, then, in Port Said, the cruise line offered the option of a private van for six with driver and guide...We went in with two other couples on this deal--as it worked out better per person than the big bus excursions...We visited Sakkara, Memphis and the pyramids and Sphinx at Giza...Our guide was wonderful...We stopped for a great lunch accross from the pyramids at a place called "Felfela"...the Pyramids and Sphinx really should not be missed--they are the highlight of Egypt...We felt more comfortable doing this through the cruise line than dealing with the locals directly (We did do private independent small group tours in Israel, Tunisia and Malta)...

Good luck...

Joyce and Don

Thank you Steve!! I read your other post as well and very much appreciate your input and also your suggestions in this post. We would like to do some private tours as we feel like we would enjoy that more than the larger bus tours. But we will only do that if we feel comfortable about the tour group. I will take your suggestion and continue to research and research until we feel that comfort level! Please post to my inquiries any time. Good cruising!

paljoeysmom

Carpenter
We have been to all the ports in 2006 on the NCL Jewel. You are going to LOVE the various countries. We did all ship sponsored tours.

I have a couple of suggestions.

1. Be sure to leave any expensive/fine jewelry securely locked up in your cabin safe.
2. Bring sanitary wipes or something similar for using at in the water closets/restrooms as many places have individuals who hand you only a few sheets of toliet paper, and for me and most woman that was not nearly enough.

Be extremely careful in Egypt, as there are plenty of pickpockets. Don't get on a camel in Egypt unless you want to lay out a whole wad of cash. They get you on the animal for one price, then they won't take you off unless you pay even more money.

We throughly enjoyed Greece, and Turkey.