the Penguin Sidebar...

red stripe

Staff Captain
in regards to the penguin lessons book in the "what are you reading" thread...

In regards to my quest to see penguins!
OK, we are off.. 34 night cruise to Antarctica.... first stop was Martinique.... so we took a small boat tour. The guy was freeking out at sand being tracked into his boat when we stopped. There were about 8 of us onboard. So at every stop he was washing the bottom of the boat.

on one stop he let us out on a beach, but then we had to walk along a pier to get back on the boat. To get back in, I had to sit on the pier, and he reached up (I was above his head , even sitting on this Bl--dy pier He grabbed my hand and pulled me in. My foot hit the WET boat and I wiped out!

I was in instant agony, I thought that I would pass out and throw up.
MY foot was swelling up like a balloon.... I could not walk on it at all. when we got back on land, he got a friend to take me back to the boat in a pedi-cab. The ship sent down a wheelchair to get me back onboard. They wanted to take me to the infirmary. I said no! I am fine... ha ha ha.
I knew that I had broken the foot, and I also knew that they would remove me from the ship at the next stop! there was NO WAY that I was going to be removed from that ship and miss seeing the penguins!

We had 5 sea days before reaching land again, and in that time we went through more ice than the bars! our cabin steward brought us ice in BIG buckets! real buckets.. not ice buckets lol
I could not get shoes on, so we cut the straps off a Clarks Sandel, and with my foot heavily bandaged, and wearing an Icelandic sock... I got to see my Penguins.

IMG_1676.JPGIMG_1756.JPG

when we stopped in El Salvador, I sat up on our balcony and watched they take five people off the ship to go to the hospital..sprains, etc.
not one of them returned to the ship! as you can imagine, hobbling around was awkward and painfull. but on about the third day, E "found" one of the ships wheelchairs. That made life easier while on the ship. but I could not get off the ship in it, but we managed.
on the stop in Rio De Janeiro, we wanted to go up and see "Christ the redeemer". when we got to our local tour guide, he was THRILLED to see me hobbling around! he grabbed a wheelchair and his whole group went to the front of the line! it seems that if you have a wheelchair.. you get to the top first.
But.. I never thought that I would go UP and DOWN an escalator while in a wheelchair@ so funny.

escalating.jpgIMG_1400 (101).JPGIMG_1400 (109).JPG

Anyway... thanks to ace bandages, ice and my WONDERFUL Clarks sandals.. we saw everything and we did everything.
And I got to see "my" penguins

The shoes that saved a cruise.

shoes 2.JPG

OH YES...... I had broken multiple bones in my left foot. lol

Attachments

• shoes.jpg
    shoes.jpg
    87.4 KB · Views: 1

BSeabob

Forum Manager
Staff member
a new definition of a Trooper.

Great Pics ..thks E.

BSeabob

Forum Manager
Staff member
The very first thing ?? You haven't lost your touch. very cool

glo-ree-bee

Staff Captain
Loved reading this whole story. I can't believe you did all those things with a broken foot. You must have a high pain tolerance. First time I've ever seen a picture of you. You are a darlin' woman. Write more adventures for those of us who can't cruise any more.

red stripe

Staff Captain
The very first thing ?? You haven't lost your touch. very cool
OK.. I did go to the hospital first.. where the Orthopedic guy was not impressed that I had waited a month to come in. lol I did explain that I was a bit far away...
He gave me a boot to wear! I liked the sandal better... but I did find a use for the boot...

boot.jpg

Loved reading this whole story. I can't believe you did all those things with a broken foot. You must have a high pain tolerance. First time I've ever seen a picture of you. You are a darlin' woman. Write more adventures for those of us who can't cruise any more

Glo, I thought that we had met on one of the group cruises! I know that I feel as if I have known you forever.

And I am not sure about my pain threshold.. but my "stubborn threshold" is off the charts lol