Taking Wine and Non-Alchol Beer onboard

Brian B

Pool Attendant
I see that Princess allows passengers to take one bottle each of wine on board. Is this just at the start or at every port? As one of our group doesn't drink alcohol, can he take non-alcoholic beer on board without it being confiscated or hidden in luggage?

Whimsy

Staff Captain
We have taken wine on board at embarkation as well as a 12 pack of beer for in the room. We have put the wine in our beach bags with no problems, wrapped in bags. The beer is packed into our carryon suitcase along with soda and pineapple juice. Never have had a problem in Fort Lauderdale. Others cruising with us have brought wine back from ports with no problems.

hbcobra

We have taken wine on board at embarkation as well as a 12 pack of beer for in the room. We have put the wine in our beach bags with no problems, wrapped in bags. The beer is packed into our carryon suitcase along with soda and pineapple juice. Never have had a problem in Fort Lauderdale. Others cruising with us have brought wine back from ports with no problems.

Thank you Whimsy. I too am wondering how strict Princess is about its alcohol policy? Do you or anyone else know whether you'll be able to get more than one bottle of wine and/or liquor on board? How are they about it in Los Angeles?

Thank you.

bob

Community Manager Part Time Dinosaur
Staff member
LA so far is pretty lenient, have taken up to 6 bottles of champagne between the two of us several times over the last few years in our carry-ons.............

They are looking for guns, knives, weapons of mass destruction, not a few bottles of wine..

George C

Staff Captain
Have brought on 6 or so bottles of wine on Princess without a problem, Princess and Hal seem to allow all the wine you want, might need to hide the beer

RichC

Lecturer
Princess has just recently (the other day) changed their policy regarding wine & beer and is now being printed on their boarding pass & luggage tags as a reminder. Anything over 1 bottle per person will be charged a corkage fee of $15 per bottle and no beer allowed at all- so they say. We'll have to see how strictly their new policy is enforced. I've yet to hear anything factual from people who've just returned.
Of course no one knows how thoroughly they'll be looking for actual liquor but I suspect that too will be clamped down upon.
It might be time to invest in some RumRunners.
:bigsmile:

Cruise cutie

Staff Captain
We took 12 bottles of Champagne and 2 bottles wine in January...3 week cruise..FLL...right up the gangway as we went from X-ray to Embarkation lounge then to our stateroom;no one said a word...
talked to a BUNCH of others on the same sailing.. no issues whatsover..we have it prior to Dinner,in our stateroom..We have a corkscrew we pack.. or in the Dining Room, our Asti is the same as what they sell, the staff never even blink...iced it down, opened it and served..Voila~

NEVER in almost 20 years paid a corkage fee.could be how it fell.....

not sure..we don't pack booze, and the occasional beer, Mark just buys it..so cannot help you there...we did haul a bottle of Captain Morgan's s up the gangway in Puerto Rico, just put it in the X-ray scanner...nobody said Boo.trucked it up to our stateroom.. and we have Diet Coke free in our Room..:shrug:... good luck.. we sail in August for Alaska out of San Francisco.., and for sure we'll have 4 bottles of Asti up the gangway,and a bottle of my favorite Swill Zinfindel..the 3 previous sailings out of there.. not an eyebrow raised...time will tell..Good luck..Joanne

Last edited:

RichC

Lecturer
No problem with carrying on any sort of bottle on the Emerald in the last few weeks. They had the collection desk set up as people returned from each island but was strictly voluntary.

bunnieo

Going on the Coral Thanksgiving week out of FL. Anyone out there had any problems packing booze? I heard they were finding it and discarding it.

RichC

Lecturer
How much enforcement was there? On the Emerald there didn't seem to be much checking earlier in the day when thy first opened up but if people boarded at around noon there was a table set up for collection.
We used Rumrunners & didn't have any problem. After all they can't possibly see everything.

bikevegas

2nd Officer
Agree with RichC, the rumrunners are a great investment! Used them on the last two cruises, they are great and fairly inexpensive!