Supermarket shore excursion?

John

I'm on Island Time
Staff member
I just read this tip in an article. I don't normally plan on this but, If possible we seek out ways to buy local items found at a supermarket or variety store. Why buy expensive tourist items when you can bring back authentic Swedish or German chocolates that you may not find back home.

Who else does this? What do you like to buy?

spikesgirl

3rd Officer
We always try to visit a supermarket in any city we stop in. Not only do you have exposure to a lot of great food, but you are right, John, the prices are much more reasonable. We went on a shopping expedition on our last cruise to a local store and got tons of stuff for our sail away - it was nice to have a choice of fresh deli meats and cheeses, not to mention the wine. There was four of us and we got so much stuff, we should have had a pack mule with us. When we came back on board, the security officer looked at all our purchased items and said, "We do feed you, you know."

Great question!

bob

Community Manager Part Time Dinosaur
Staff member
In Puerto Vallarta usually hit the Walmart across the street from the port

gottagoacruzn

Environmental Compliance Officer
We always try to visit a supermarket in any city we stop in. Not only do you have exposure to a lot of great food, but you are right, John, the prices are much more reasonable. We went on a shopping expedition on our last cruise to a local store and got tons of stuff for our sail away - it was nice to have a choice of fresh deli meats and cheeses, not to mention the wine. There was four of us and we got so much stuff, we should have had a pack mule with us. When we came back on board, the security officer looked at all our purchased items and said, "We do feed you, you know."

Great question!
Had to laugh at what the officer said!!!

Christoffer

The Euro Connection Special Contributor
I love to visit supermarkets, grocery stores, market halls and open air markets when on cruise or land vacation. Nice see and compare the local selections, nice also to buy home some local goodies.

Funnel

Food and Beverage Manager- Special Contributor
I go to local outdoor markets and sometimes other shops in some of the ports.
Why not by a can of fermented herring while you are over here? Don't open it in the cabin thoug, as it stinks... :p

/Erik