Stuffed Bonless Leg of Lamb

Donna - dsw

Staff Captain
Stuffed Boneless Leg of Lamb
The boneless leg for this simple roast needs to be butterflied; that is, cut open so it lays flat. Have the butcher do it for you.

Stuffed Boneless Leg of Lamb
Makes 12 servings
POINTS® value per serving: 5
Ingredients

· 1/2 cup dried apricots (3 ounces)
· Boiling water
· 1 large shallot, halved and thinly sliced
· 1 Tbsp fresh rosemary leaves, minced
· 1 tsp salt
· 1/2 tsp ground black pepper
· One 4-pound lean boneless leg of lamb, butterflied and trimmed of surface fat
· Butchers' twine
Instructions

1. Place the apricots in a medium bowl, cover with boiling water to a depth of 1 inch, and set aside to soften for 20 minutes. Meanwhile, preheat the oven to 350°F.
2. Drain the apricots, spread them out on a cutting board, and mince them to a coarse paste by rocking a large knife through them, changing the blade's direction and position as you go. Scrape this apricot mash into a bowl and stir in the shallot, rosemary, salt and pepper.
3. Place the leg of lamb on your work surface, smooth side down; spread the apricot mixture over the exposed portion of the meat. Starting at one of the long sides, roll the leg closed, forming a neat, fat (if rather lumpy) sausage-like roll. Tie with twine in three places to keep closed—not so tight that the filling squeezes out but tight enough to hold the roll in shape.
4. Place lamb in a heavy roasting pan and bake, basting occasionally with the pan juices, until an instant-read meat thermometer inserted into the thickest part of the meat registers 145°F for medium-rare or 150°F for medium, about 2 hours. Set aside to rest at room temperature before slicing off the twine and carving the roast into 24 rounds.
Serving size: 2 slices

Corky

Staff Captain
I think I will make this in May when my son is here. I normally just drill holes in the lamb and put slivered garlic and rosemary in the holes, then rub with olive oil, salt and pepper and roast. It will be nice to have a new way to cook lamb.

Thnx!