St. Maarten Coconut Smoothie Stand

E

endde

I just got back from my RC southern caribbean cruise. When we arrived in St. Maarten there was a coconut smoothie stand on the left when departing the ship. These smoothies are the best thing I have ever tasted in my life and I have wanted one ever since I got back. The cravings are massive! I tried looking up a recipe online, but cannot find one like what we had. It was made with fresh coconut milk. Is anyone going to St. Maarten soon and if so, can you try and ask them the ingredients? I don't know if they would tell you or not, but I could kick myself for not asking. Anyone willing to ask? I would be very grateful. Thanks!

S

surfgirl67

yum...that sounds good. I will be there the end of May so I will be sure and try it out (I'll try to get recipe)

E

endde

I will love you forever if you can do that. I think they are $4 or $5 a cup depending on what size you get, but it is well worth it. I highly recommend anyone going to Philipsburg St. Martaan to not pass this up. I'll be looking forward to your reply in May....hope they give it to you.

By the way, you can get them with or without rum...we got ours without.

M

Missou

DH is leaving for a week in St-Marteen on May 11th. It is going to be on his to do list for sure.
Actually, I just spoke with him and he was wandering if you could give him more details on the location of the stand.
Can't wait to try this smoothie... (tu)

E

endde

Our ship docked in Philipsburg and when you leave the dock to enter the island there are shops on the right and bars and stands on the left.

There was a bar right before the stand that makes the coconut smoothies. The stand looks like a little Tiki Hut and they sell souvenirs made out of coconuts. Wind Chimes, bird houses, etc. When we first walked by it, the person with the smoothie samples was not out front, but when we came back later she was. I believe they even put out a little chalkboard sign out front that says coconut smoothies.

You can't really miss it if you are at the right port where the cruise ships all dock. Just look left as you are walking. They are soooooo good. I'm jealous I cannot go back....I've never been coocoo for a drink before....I probably sound like a crazy person, but I highly recommend it to anyone...you won't regret it!

V

velvpitt

I agree those smoothies are the best i've ever had!!! I found your post trying to look up coconut smoothie recipes! My Mom and I DID ask for the recipe...and this is what i remember:
Take the meat out of a fresh coconut and blend it, i can't remember if you use the coconut water or not. Squeeze out the pulp, and boil it for a few minutes. Add this to cream of coconut (in the can- coco lopez) and blend with ice.
I'm sorry i don't remember all the details...but that was the gist of it.
Those smoothies were the highlight of our cruise!

E

endde

Wow! I'm surprised they are willing to give up the recipe. They probably figure that we won't remember OR go through the hassel to make them! lol They are good though...youn know it's bad when we drank that smoothie three months ago and are still talking about it.

Okay all you cruise addicts....I know there has got to be someone out there going to St. Maarten and now that we know they do give up the recipe then can someone please, please, please get it for us so we know for sure? You'll be glad you did!

V

velvpitt

we tried to make the smoothie's with the parts of the recipe we remembered....and abandoned the effort several stab wounds later. fresh coconuts are a pain!!!
here's one we made and LOVED. it may be as close as we can get to the real thing for now:
2 scoops coconut gelato (publix has this)
5oz coco lopez cream of coconut
2 cups ice
1/4 cup fresh frozen coconut (or to taste)
combine all of this into a blender, puree until ice is blended, and enjoy
we served this on 4th of july and it was a hit!

E

endde

Mmmmm....I can't wait to try it! I have seen coconut water, cream of coconut and coconut milk in the stores around here....I've never seen coconut gelato. We do not have a publix here either. I'm determined to track it down. Thanks!

V

velvpitt

do you have Whole Foods or The Fresh Market? They may have it in the ice cream section.....or, our Whole Foods has a gelato bar. Good luck!!!

E

endde

I don't have either of those around me....but I'm sure someone around here has to have it. I can't wait to try it!

T

traveltime

I'll be in St. Maarten the first week in September. I promise :thumb I'll make a stop at the stand and try my best to get the recipe for you. If I'm remembering correctly, I think I know just about where this stand is. Oh, and if I can get the recipe, I'll post it on here from the ship. (Got to be online to check some business during the week.)

E

endde

OOOhhhhhh.....we can't wait! Thank you, thank you, thank you! So jealous but very appreciative!

Mr. Utley

2nd Officer
Are these nonalcoholic?

Mainer

I know that the last post for this was in 2009, but we just got back from St. Maarten, and we all LOVED the coconut smoothie! We got one when we docked, and we got one before we got back on the ship! I have also been trying to find this recipe. So mad at myself for not asking! If anyone has it, please post!

Royalgirl

Photograher
This is too funny! I was actually the original poster of this thread under the i.d. endde. I am now Royalgirl. This was now two years ago and I still crave this smoothie. Never had one like it since although now I will scarf down anything coconut related because of it! My son just brought me home a slice of coconut cheesecake! lol

I would still love the recipe, but I don't know if I have the umpf to dive into a real coconut for the ingredients. I'm leaving for a cruise in less than 3 weeks but unfortunately not to St. Maarten. :( I'm so jealous you got to have them Mainer!!!!

Mmketeer

Dance Instructor
I doubt I'll remember to get the reciepe, but I have to thank you endde./Royalgirl for posting this as I love coconut and I am gonna add this to my list of must spend money on while on my cruise. :)

Thanks for the tip!

Allure'ing to my next cruise May 2012

Mbandy

Staff Captain
There's a restaurant here in Las Vegas called Firefly. They make a Cocoanut and Banana Martini that's out of this world good.

It is made with cocoanut rum, creme de banana, banana liquer and a splash of cream. They shake it with ice like a regular martini and serve in a martini glass with toasted cocoanut sprinkled on top. Yummy! :beach:

AF-1

Deck Crew
I was in St. Maartin in Jan; I know the stand u were talking about. Will be back in St. Maartin in Dec on Freedom of the Seas. I will stop by the stand and have a drink for you Royalgirl. Cheers