St. Maarten – Fabulous Private Tour with Joyce Prince!

D

Don B

We took the Carnival Miracle to the Southern Caribbean on December 9 (8 days). I am posting this as an excursion review for St Maarten. I had seen a recommendation for Joyce Prince Tours on the Cruise Addicts website, and since we had a group of 6 and a good number of hours in port, I thought a private tour guide might be a good idea. The booking process was easy – we worked through emails – and the price worked out to be less than $70 per person for the 6 of us (off-season rates) for a 6-hour private van tour.
Well, let me tell you, I never expected to have such a fabulous time! From the moment we met Joyce, all of us felt right at home. She is very personable (all right, she is a downright HOOT!) and she took us around the entire island, showing us everything that we wanted to see. We drove around downtown Phillipsburg and enjoyed great information and colorful commentary along the way. We stopped at Maho Beach to watch some airplanes land practically on our heads! I had asked Joyce to pick a non-touristy restaurant where we could “taste the island.†She brought us to Mullet Beach and a place to eat called “Under the Treesâ€Â. That’s just what it is… beach barbecue served on tables at the beach under the sea grape trees. This was definitely NOT a gourmet meal, but it was exactly what we were looking for! The atmosphere was relaxed and casual, and the food was very enjoyable. I recommend trying this place out.
We then drove around the scenic route to Marigot, where we climbed up the hill to Fort de Marigot. We got spectacular views, and our private guide provided history while we were up there. The breeze was brisk, and we were the only group at the fort. Joyce had planned out the route so we avoided all the traffic congestion (there were 6 cruise ships in port that day, so the planning made an incredible difference!). Watching the long grass blow in the breeze on the hillsides was nearly as relaxing as watching the waves come in on the beach.
We continued around to the north end of the island, looking here and stopping there as we liked. Joyce took us to the French Cul de Sac where we had a commanding view of the Orient Beach area. There was also a local artisan, Ma Doudou, who made and decorated beautiful bottles of hot sauces, rums, and many other delicacies.
After passing through the Orient Beach area, and checking out some fabulously tempting real estate, we continued down the eastern side of the island. We learned about the historical significance of the salt ponds, and fell in love with the entire island (and its people) in general.
I would highly recommend seeing the island of St. Maarten with Joyce Prince. The fact that our guide was a knowledgeable local played a big part in the success, since she quickly picked up on what interested our group, and she adjusted our route and stops to fit us perfectly. I was amazed at the fact that we never felt rushed or crowded. She even had her cooler filled with the types of drinks we had requested. We were pampered and treated like family.

bob

Community Manager Part Time Dinosaur
Staff member
Do a google search, this post is three years old, since there have been no current comments, Joyce Prince could be out of business or dead by now................

And Don very rarely posts now days......

Goguinness

Ordinary Seaman

Xpose

Pool Attendant
I just returned from a Celebrity cruise & we did the Joyce Prince tour on St Maarten's for 4 of us!! Although we were a bit late in booking this tour & Joyce was already booked, she had her driver give us a tour! It was FANTASTIC & I highly recommend this tour for anyone cruising to St Maarten's!! We loved it!! Her website is JoycePrince.com or PrincePersonal.com
You will not be sorry!!! Definitely a place we want to return to explore more!!