Some people just should not have dogs!

G

GloBug

I took Kiefer to the dog park yesterday to throw some balls. He's just gotten into the whole run-&-fetch thing, since we found a red rubber squeeky ball that he ADORES! We like to go to the off-leash dog park near us. The only rule there is that you pick up after your dog, and that your dog MUST be under voice control.

When we got to the dog park Kiefer was greeted by some people and their dogs. There was a new dog there, a big, white, heavy solid dog that IMMEDIATELY jumped on my. Ok, my clean tshirt is now muddy. A minute later, he's jumping all over me again. Muddier!

His owner comes up to me and she says, "He wants that ball you have. You can't use it while we are still here." What? Ok, I understand he wants the ball. He's a dog, obviously his master never taught him better manners, but I won't hold that against the dog. So, I hung the ball launcher up, with the ball in it, and no one can reach it.

Then her dog runs up to me again, and I picked up my knee to ward him off. He instead hits my thigh, and his long sharp nails go through my favorite pair of jeans, rips a hole in them, and scrapes down my thigh! OUCH! I'm looking at the hole in my jeans, and then I looked at her, and said, "Look what your dog did!"

"Oh yeah, I see a hole." She turns and walks away! Her dog got really aggressive with Kiefer, and for the first time EVER, I saw Kiefer turn around, growl a few times, get really angry, and became THISCLOSE to a dog fight. I was really scared, because this dog could have easily severely hurt Kiefer, and she did nothing.

She finally left, and Kiefer played with the other dogs, and chased his ball.

I don't believe dogs are mean. I believe people are mean, and even meaner when they don't train their dogs to acceptable behaviour. The scrapes on my thigh exposed new skin, and had to be covered with triple antibiotic cream and bandaged. I can probably repair my jeans (you know how long it takes to get jeans butter soft and comfortable and perfect???) and of course my tshirt will clean up. But the fact that she never said, "oops, sorry" even once really amazed me.

Some people!

R

reggae

What a winner! Sometimes you really have to wonder about these people....what are they thinking???

Good for Kiefer, standing up for himself...he wasn't going to take any garbage from that big dog!

Hope all the scrapes heal fast, Glo....and give that little munchkin a hug for me :)

I

islandJim

I agree some people are better off not being in control of any living thing other than trying to take care of themselves. Apart from the ripped jeans I come across the same thing when I take DD to the local playground. Parent with no clue, be it with kids or pets, are a sad reality. My Chow Chow is very aggressive toward other animals, so she is either never off of her leash or does not leave her 5' fenced in back yard. I was walking her in my neighborhood one day when a neighbor who lives a few houses away with 2 labs came down the street. Of course neither dog was on a leash and they approached my dog as I told her to call them off. She did not, so one of her dogs got pinned to the ground and actually "wet" himself with my dog on top of him. Well that put a little spring in the old neighbors step as she came to retrieve her dogs. Lesson learned, she bought 2 leashes and walks her dogs the right way now. DW was mad that I did not pull Sui-Li by her leash to keep her off the other dog, not my problem as she was on a leash. I said to wife and neighbor, "I guess that's why there are leash laws."

Jim

K

Krazy Kruizers

Sure glad that your dog didn't get into fight. Would have hate to see your dog get hurt by an uncontrollable dog and uncontrolable owner.

W

Whimsy

We don't have dog parks, we are such a small, rural area. I always wondered how things went there. Guess it's just like a playground where there are badly behaved children not corrected by their parents.

S

ShipMaven

As Bruce would say - shaking my head. I'm happy Kiefer didn't get into a fight.

Brings to mind an incident when Topaz, my Lhasa Apso, was still alive. Lhasas can be nippy, so I was always on guard when she was around strangers, although there never was even a hint of a problem. I used to take her to a certain department store with me - she always attracted lots of attention because she really was a beautiful dog with stunningly beautiful eyes. She loved children. This one time I had her in my arms as usual, and a small child came up and began yanking her tail. I immediately put my free hand near Topaz' mouth as protection, and tried to explain to the youngster that yanking the tail might hurt the dog and make her bite. He pulled harder and the parents standing right there started laughing! I finally had it, glared at the parents, told them I thought THEY were idiots for allowing their child to taunt a dog and risk being hurt...and I stormed off. Fortunately, Topaz never flinched during this scene.

R

r8derfan

Really, some people. When we go to the dog park we always have to keep an eye on Mike. He's a humper. We're always pulling him off dogs. I've never had such a humping dog like Mike. Male or female, he don't care.

G

GloBug

[quote r8derfan]Really, some people. When we go to the dog park we always have to keep an eye on Mike. He's a humper. We're always pulling him off dogs. I've never had such a humping dog like Mike. Male or female, he don't care.[/quote]

Mike is your... DOG? Ok, got it straight. :D Yeah, well, humping male or female is just a show of dominance, and not even in a mean or aggressive way. Just his way of showing he's Top Dog.

There are a few dogs like that at the dog park, we just usually inform them THAT WON'T WORK (especially when they are humping another male.) Kiefer hates it, so his very large BFF just pushes the other dogs off Kiefer, and then herds them away from him for the next few minutes. It's so amazing to see.

R

r8derfan

Globug, sometimes there will be a guy named Mike there. We really have fun with that one, "Mike get off that dog". :lol

G

GloBug

he he... yeah, dogs with human names make it funny. My boy friend from a long time ago had a dog named Flaco. One time, he was yelling at Flaco for something, and a Latin man came up to him and demanded to know how he knew his nickname, and what he wanted! :X He had to explain quickly that it was his dog he was calling!!!