Snow =1, Deck = 0 Too Much Weight

B

Bibb

Our deck succombed to the weight of the snow. We have a metal shingle roof that the snow will not stick to and the snow slides off easily (once it has reached a few inches). One of its targets is our deck.

Early in the season, while we were out of town, we had a snow storm and our house sitter only shoveled a path across the deck leaving the pile from the roof. By the time we got home, it was a solid ice pack so I said. "The heck with it." and let it pile up (expecting a normal winter). Well, we had record snowfalls for December and February (already) and maybe even January.

Where the deck connects to the house (sill plate), it separated and dropped about 5 inches. Everywhere that it rests on concret footings, it held. So I have been chain sawing the pile into igloo blocks and shoveling it (3 days) so that I can get under the deck and jack it back into place and block it until spring. Repairs should not be too, too difficult unless the sill plate is damaged too much. Minor to the problems others have had this year.

We had 6 or 7 inches of snow Friday night and the snow has been sliding off the roof all day (Saturday was too cold so it stayed on the roof). It sounds like thunder inside the house

The moral to the story - Yes, we have had some snow and yes, wood will only hold so much. It makes looking forward to the next cruise even more exciting. :)

M

Mbandy

Re: Snow =1, Deck = 0 Too Much Weight

Hope the damage isn't too serious Bibb.

The thought of being outside making repairs in all that snow shivers me timbers =sailor

Have a nice cup of hot chocolate or even better a hot bowl of chili.

J

Jill B

Oh Bibb, I hope the damage is minor. I can't imagine what that would be like. Do you have any photos?

C

conniecat

So sorry you had this problem. You need a winter like we are having. Snow sleet and ice for 2 or 3 days, then rain temps in the 50s and sun, then the snow starts all over again in a few days. My poor body is so confused.

C

Cruise cutie

:(...we hear you.. not cool at all , and =hugs it is not too bad Bibb... My folks have had it nasty about 45 minutes North of you.. they get ocean effect..=eek..

and our ^%$# snowblower died.( yes it paid for itself after 11 winters..) they want a minimum of 30.00 a throw to plow our size driveway..:worried..but it died when there were NONE to buy in a 45 mile radius.. Mark ordered it online it came; took a week to got here Thursday ;snowed Friday and yesterday too.. back to Square one.. and we were sure worried about our roof too.. luckily it rained a bunch last week, we had another nice day, and where Mark had roof-raked it had gotten thinner..

Spring is so welcome, and yet so far away..:(..take care Kiddo...:)..Joanne

S

ShipMaven

I'm so sorry to read about your deck, Bibb. I hope the damage isn't too serious and you'll be able to repair it easily and inexpensively. :(

Certainly sounds like you've had more than"some" snow this winter!!

K

Krazy Kruizers

Sorry about your deck.

Hope the damage isn't very serious and you can get it repaired before you cruise.

H

Hooked

Real bummer bud. Sounds the the nails or decking screws/bolts just pulled out of the sill?

Good luck.