Seattle ? Vancouver ?? heading for Alaska . & Why

BSeabob

Forum Manager
Staff member
We seem to always be talking about why Vancouver, Why Seattle when heading for Alaska on a cruise ship. Here is a pretty good story on the Why's. It's all about money for the cruise lines and it's all about what you really want to see for the passengers. Pay attention to the " Inside Passage" remarks throughout the article and the "Time" factors.

This past season on line Celebrity (Infinity) dropped a port in AK for a one way up through the "Inside" passage.

http://digital.vancouversun.com/epaper/showlink.aspx?bookmarkid=3GFQCZ50G7R4

Mr. Utley

2nd Officer
Interesting and informative article.

ShipMaven

Forever Remembered
I'll repeat my reply on the Q&A forum...

Very interesting article, BSea, but a VERY IMPORTANT point was omitted.

There is a treacherous area in the Inside Passage called Seymour Narrows. If a ship sailing North from Vancouver cannot make it to Seymour Narrows during a specific tide level, they have no choice but to go out to the open seas. This is especially true of larger ships. It has nothing to do with politics, economics, etc. It has to do with Mother Nature - pure and simple.

You know better than I that beautiful Victoria BC was eliminated entirely from almost all Alaska itineraries for a number of years. I'm one of those who laments the very short stay there nowadays for those itineraries that include Victoria.

BSeabob

Forum Manager
Staff member
I saw your post on the other forum Mary Ann and was going to reply but thought you might sneek over here. Here is where it should be discussed for long term storage.

I agree with you on two things. Victoria as a Port is worth at least the normal 8 to 5 time in Port but at least that odd law that you all have helps with the forced "Close Foreign Port" stops. A little is worth a lot more than nothing.

Second, the Seymour Narrows can cause huge headaches to Ships going up the inside. Timing and Safety wise.
BUT: They all have been doing it for years and with the navigation aids and propulsion on the newer ships which has even improved on things not visa versa so as to remove any of the difficulties from playing a part in moving to Vancouver. Slack tide is slack tide right? :) Going out and coming in and even new sea going nutz like me can figure that out. It's just totally a money thing I believe. Ships are not leaving Vancouver so much as leaving Alaska. Add in the tax up there per. head and just the coast of things in general with the economy thrown in and it makes things tougher for everyone.

And I sure don't blame folks for flying into Seattle at the US prices compared to stretching it out into Vancouver which in the air is only about 30 mins more for way more bucks. Doesn't sit well with me I'll tell you. But I think if I had a choice dollar wise I'd do the same. The bus trip from there up to Vancouver through the border and all that stuff now would be enough for me to forget sailing from Vancouver also. That's for people flying the same day as they cruise which is as you well know a lot of people, probably most wouldn't you say. Only those of us experienced pax go early and into Seattle it actually would give you a night in a great city to experience and I would take the train the next day as it's a great on time trip and very easy border crossing. There are now two trains each way every day and will be for at least the start of the cruise season next year. (better check that next year though)

But Disney I believe is Coming to Vancouver with one of their ships. I read a bit on their thoughts and it was basically the "Inside Passage" that they thought would be the draw. Along with the new Disney name draw for Alaska of course. :)

So there are my 2 cents worth. I could add more lol.

Last edited:

ShipMaven

Forever Remembered
Crystal Cruises is also returning to Alaska (YIPPEE) in 2011. I don't know yet if it's only for that one year - after being begged by past passengers, including myself - to return. She'll sail the Inside Passage round-trip San Francisco - 12 night voyages.

The Seymour Narrows problem has become more of an issue because many of the ships are larger. Smaller ships weren't/aren't as affected by the tides there as are the larger ships.

BSeabob

Forum Manager
Staff member
and of course we also agree on Smaller vs Bigger....

I had a chance to speak with an Officer on the Mercury this fall about going Inside from Vancouver. Celebrity as it often does had put something in a brochure that caused some eye brows to be raised. On certain days of several months of the Mercury's weekly trips it showed the ship going "Outside" Vancouver Island when leaving Vancouver. It was also that way on the website too. Now we locals all knew that this was nutz. It would be like adding in a Trip to Seattle in a seven dayer.

I asked him directly about it and it just said. "Those people don't know anything.. it's just marketing" "Would never happen and didn't" He was on the ship all summer.