Regal Princess

PEB

Staff Captain
I was signed up for a cruise on the NCL Gem however we found a better deal on the Regal Princess and we prefer Princess so we have switched to the Regal. We are still cruising New England Canada in Oct 2019. It will be our first time on the Regal so any information would be appreciated. It will also be our first time doing anytime dining instead of traditional dining. We are not thrilled about the medallion but will live with it if they finally have it working once we get onboard.

BSeabob

Forum Manager
Staff member
OK what is the "Medallion ?

PEB

Staff Captain
OK what is the "Medallion ?

The Medallion is to replace the sail and sign card. It is also to keep information of your preferences such as drinks plus you can put an app on your phone so you can order, drinks, tours and other things from your phone while on the ship. It was supposed to come out over a year ago and still does not work with a few exceptions in a few rooms. Basically someone sold Princess a line of BS that they cannot back up so far.

BSeabob

Forum Manager
Staff member
Interesting..It seems that more than one "Big" cruise line is having issues with their new app's and web based thingys'. thks

sptrout

Shore Excursion Manager
We have not been on a Princess ship yet that was Medallion equipped, but this past December we were on MSC's Seaside which does have a similar system. It worked great, all over the ship. Used it anytime we would have needed to show our keycard. It unlocks the cabin door. Nice not to have to carry a card. You wear the device on your wrist like a watch.

Other uses include:
  1. Daily Planner always available on the App
  2. Make dinner and show reservations (reservations for the main theater are required on MSC).
  3. Includes a detailed deck plan and identifies exactly where you are standing so you can easily find your way to where you want to go.
  4. Will soon have person to person texting (or voice?).
  5. No problems encountered with the key card or the APP on our phones.

Downsides:
Requires the use of smartphone or tablets (Android or IOS) for all "other uses include" section. I wore mine all the time, my DW most of the time.

I do not know how much of the above applies to Princess' Medallion system, but I would guess much of it.

PEB

Staff Captain
We have not been on a Princess ship yet that was Medallion equipped, but this past December we were on MSC's Seaside which does have a similar system. It worked great, all over the ship. Used it anytime we would have needed to show our keycard. It unlocks the cabin door. Nice not to have to carry a card. You wear the device on your wrist like a watch.

Other uses include:
  1. Daily Planner always available on the App
  2. Make dinner and show reservations (reservations for the main theater are required on MSC).
  3. Includes a detailed deck plan and identifies exactly where you are standing so you can easily find your way to where you want to go.
  4. Will soon have person to person texting (or voice?).
  5. No problems encountered with the key card or the APP on our phones.
Downsides:
Requires the use of smartphone or tablets (Android or IOS) for all "other uses include" section. I wore mine all the time, my DW most of the time.

I do not know how much of the above applies to Princess' Medallion system, but I would guess much of it.

I know many will like it but all it will do for me is open doors because I will not be taking a smartphone or tablet. From what I have been reading on those that have been using it already many say they have to keep going to guest services because the battery dies a lot. I do appreciate the information you have provided.

sptrout

Shore Excursion Manager
Understand, not wanting to carry a smart device around (again assuming that the Princess system is similar to MSCs), I will add that in addition to opening your room door, it is also very handy when buying anything on the ship since the waiters just scan your medallion (therefore, no reason to carry a key room card). Do not know anything about the battery issues on Princess' system, but we had no problems with ours. Maybe Princess uses their system in a more battery-user way than how MSCs system works. No way to know unless a person knows the interworking of the two systems than we do.

PEB

Staff Captain
Understand, not wanting to carry a smart device around (again assuming that the Princess system is similar to MSCs), I will add that in addition to opening your room door, it is also very handy when buying anything on the ship since the waiters just scan your medallion (therefore, no reason to carry a key room card). Do not know anything about the battery issues on Princess' system, but we had no problems with ours. Maybe Princess uses their system in a more battery-user way than how MSCs system works. No way to know unless a person knows the interworking of the two systems than we do.

I mean no disrespect but I see no difference in carrying a card or having a medallion they are both something extra you must have with you for the door or purchases. I have no problem carrying either. I am sure many people will like the medallion and that is good for them all I say is I see no advantage for me personally over having a card. I will not use it for anything different from what I would use a card which would be opening the room door or purchasing something to drink.

sptrout

Shore Excursion Manager
I know how you feel PEB, I thought that I would never use MSC's version of the Medallion. I hate to wear anything on my arms/wrists and anything like that is the first things off when I walk in the door at home. My only suggestion is to give it a try, you may be surprised. Also, it could be that Princess' version of this type of system is very different than MSCs, and if it is, ignore all my suggestions LOL.

bob

Community Manager Part Time Dinosaur
Staff member
Medallion class on Princess is pretty much like you experienced on MSC, probably a few variations but close. So far it is available on, I think two of their ships, with four more coming soon. Biggest thing I see that is of value is that it enhances priority boarding even beyond what we receive as platinum and elite, they send your medallion to you so that you have it prior to boarding and since it is also your door key I guess the only reason you have to stop by the check-in desk is to say Hi. Another plus is what they consider enhanced wifi with improved and faster connections.

PEB

Staff Captain
Medallion class on Princess is pretty much like you experienced on MSC, probably a few variations but close. So far it is available on, I think two of their ships, with four more coming soon. Biggest thing I see that is of value is that it enhances priority boarding even beyond what we receive as platinum and elite, they send your medallion to you so that you have it prior to boarding and since it is also your door key I guess the only reason you have to stop by the check-in desk is to say Hi. Another plus is what they consider enhanced wifi with improved and faster connections.

My understanding is that it is sent to you early if you load software on your phone or tablet and then you order it otherwise you pick it up at the pier. This trip we booked a guarantee room so we will not get it until we get to the pier anyway and seeing I would not load the software on my phone or tablet I would have to get it at the pier regardless. As for the enhanced wifi I don't use computers when on a cruise so it is of no use to me but I know many others will. For me I go on a cruise to get away from that stuff. My last cruise I watched people glued to their computers and phones and found that sad especially seeing they were missing out on the views and the people they were with.

bob

Community Manager Part Time Dinosaur
Staff member
Enjoy your fancy door key................................... :thumb:

I'm with you when it comes to the phone, it goes in the safe when we get to the cabin and comes out when we leave the ship. But I do carry a small Acer laptop to stay in touch with the board and check emails once in a while besides free wifi and like the convenience of not having to go to the inernet cafe so might as well use it but I always leave some laying on the table.

BSeabob

Forum Manager
Staff member
but......my phone is my camera.