Recommendations for a Cruise Line for the Mediterranean

DebR

Bar Steward
We are looking to take a cruise in the summer of 2011 in the Mediterranean. We've been to Alaska on Princess, twice. Princess does a great job for the Alaska cruises! Who does a great job with Mediterranean cruises? We are looking to start or end in Italy. We have a group of about 10, most of us have not been to Europe at all. Any suggestions for a newbie to the Mediterranean?

BruinSteve

Environmental Compliance Officer
Depends on what sort of cruise you want...

My #1 recommendation is Celebrity...
As someone who has done a number of cruises on Celebrity and has cruised Princess as well...and has done both in Europe, I will tell you that, IMHO, Celebrity blows Princess away...

One primary difference is the space-to-passenger ratios of the ships...The Celebrity ships are far less crowded...meaning more comfortable, more elegant, better service...

(I actually considered Princess for Alaska...my sister and my parents both took Princess to Alaska...We went with Celebrity...After comparing notes, I am convinced we made the better choice even for Alaska...I know Princess like to claim that Alaska is their specialty and they do it best...they don't...we had a less crowded ship, better hotels on the land cruisetour portion and better hours in port).

Anyway, back to the Mediterranean...
Celebrity doesn't have its Summer 2011 swchedules posted yet, but this summer, they have the brand new Equinox doing 10 and 11 night round trips out of Rome... and a 10 night Rome to Venice...In September, they switch to 13 night Rome RT itineraries that include Egypt and Israel (phenomenal!)...

If you are willing to spend a little more money, I would also look at Azamara and Oceania...both use smaller ships with all open seating and no formal nights...

Good luck...