Oprah dedicates her show to her late Dog.

R

r8derfan

CHICAGO (AP) - Oprah Winfrey plans to dedicate a show investigating abuses at puppy mills to her cocker spaniel, Sophie, who died last month from kidney failure.

"Sophie gave me 13 years of unconditional love. She was a true love in my life," Winfrey says on the broadcast scheduled to air Friday. (Advance remarks from the show were released Tuesday by Harpo Productions.)

The show features special correspondent Lisa Ling investigating puppy mills, which Ling calls "horrific" and "haunting."

Winfrey says the show is "for anybody anywhere who loves a dog, has ever loved a dog, or just cares about their basic right to humane treatment."

While Sophie was not a product of a puppy mill, and Winfrey's three current dogs were adopted from breeders, Winfrey says in the future she would look to adopt from an animal shelter.

"I would never, ever adopt another pet now without going to a shelter to do it. I am a changed woman after seeing this show," she says.

---

R

r8derfan

The three things I have NO tolerance for are:

Animal Abuse
Elder Abuse
Child Abuse

R

r8derfan

Beryl I know how you feel. For awhile I didn't read Globugs post "Some People Shouldn't Have Dogs" because I thought it sounded like an abuse post. I refuse to read stories about animal abuse. I can't take it. I did scan the first couple paragraphs of Globugs post and saw that it was safe. Whew.

B

BostonsJ

I can't watch these things. I have read enough about these things to know that the laws with regard to puppy mills need to be reformed. But I can't watch anything that has to do with animals.

My vet's receptionist always says to me that she believes I have the toughest job in the world. And I always tell her ohhhhhhhh no she does that I could not take working in a vetinary hospital it would kill me.