Oh no, I can't make just a simple card for my DD and her boy friend's new apt....

G

GloBug

No, no.. .that would be WAY too easy. Instead, I made a folding photo cube!

Now, keep in mind, this is the first time I made one, so I've learned a bit more then the instructions tell you, but I still think it turned out ok! Certain blocks are hinged by the photo paper, so it unfolds and folds back up easily. Kind of a photo rubik's cube.

These are all pics I took of them moving, and pics of their apt. when it was still empty.

DD and DBF posing in the moving van
IMG_0259.jpg

Opening up to...
IMG_0265.jpg

Their front door!
IMG_0261.jpg

Moving again...
IMG_0258.jpg

To the walkway beside their apt. bldg.
IMG_0264.jpg

There are a lot more pictures, 10 in all, but I think you get the picture. I was actually 2 pictures short of the 10 needed, so one of them is a panel with their names and address, and one is a message from her dad and me. It IS a card, of sorts!
IMG_0262.jpg

B

Beryl

Right, where do I find the template???? It is a wonderful project and you did a bang up job on it! I want to make one...now!!!! :grin

G

GloBug

Beryl, here you go.

As you read the instructions I would make one suggestion/change in the instructions.

They say to make the pics 3x3 or 3x6, and then cut them out just a bit beyond the picture. I would suggest you make them just a bit larger then they say, not much, 1/16" would do, then when you cut, cut from the center of the pic. Your edges will overlap the edge of the cube, but you can easily file it off or gently cut off with an xacto knife.

It did not take long at all. The instructions are clear and easy to follow.

B

Beryl

Glo.....I would love to go....but where....oh maybe I shouldn't put it quite that way! =lolgang

R

Rubysky

That's really super.(tu)

I just looked at the instructions. I'll pass. My fingers ache just looking.

G

GloBug

Beryl, considering what I spent to make this, I would suggest buying their photo cube kit. $15 is a decent price, and the shipping is free, so that sells it for me!

B

Beryl

Wow....that is definitely bookmarked!! What a terrific project and what a great gift idea! The hardest part would be getting all the blocks gathered and prepared. Where did you get your blocks Glo or did you have a kit? Have not seen any of the "red" sticky tape here in sheets either....definitely limited supply on stuff like that!!

G

GloBug

No, I got the blocks from Michaels for $16, and the sheets of double sided adhesive for $6.

As I said, the next time I do this, I am using the kit from the site link I gave you. $15, free delivery, I like that!!!

B

Beryl

I'm going to have to check if they ship free to Canada. Failing that I shall ask my girlfriends husband to cut some blocks for me. He does beautiful woodwork....so beautiful in fact that it might be sinful to cover the blocks up with photos :grin !

H

H2O babe

Glo - you are just too artsy/craftsy! Very neat gift. Even if I had the time I'm not sure I would be up to the job...........

K.