Need help for Barcelona departure?

V

Vince

I'm trying to arrange our own flight back home after our Barcelona cruise on the Brilliance next Summer. Most flights our leaving in the 10:00AM range. We would like to leave the same day as we disembark, but we may have to spend the night in Barcelona after our cruise. We are returning to the west coast from Barcelona.
Any insight would be appreciated.

B

beachmom5

You will need to spend the night.

The airport is more than an hour drive from the pier and the traffic can be terrible.

Try to spend a little more time as it is a wonderful city to explore.

B

BruinSteve

That being the case, what happens with the Air/Sea programs?
Our cruise in August on the Millenium also disembarks in Barcelona...
Since Celebrity included such an outstanding deal on airfare, we eschewed the notion of using our frequent flier miles and are just letting them handle it...

How do they cope with this situation?

B

beachmom5

They will get you off the ship pronto!

Air Sea programs with the cruise lines will be the first off the ship.

L

LE2

We did our air independently and ran into the same thing. Booked a non-stop flight back the next morning and spent another day in Barcelona. We saved over $600 pp doing our own air so it was definitely worth it!

M

MVPinBoynton

We are also going on the Brilliance, 6-17-03 departure. RCCL is having a promotion on the airfare which brings the cost down from $1,048 to $760. Have your TA get the price adjusted. This is an outstanding rate, particularly through the cruiselines. Since we are doing a 2 day pre-cruise, we will not want to spend another night anywhere but home.
Mike

B

BruinSteve

We just solved the problem...Opted on a two-night post-cruise in Barcelona...
It's all somewhat redundant since the cruise includes an "overnight" in Barcelona...Now I kind of wish they would have thrown in another port as well (Mallorca?)...

It's okay...This will be my third time in Barcelona...and now we'll have three full days (plus until the plane leaves on Sunday)...maybe we'll get a car and explore the region a little...

M

MVPinBoynton

Bruin Steve,
The extra night in Barcelona is one of the reasons I chose the Brilliance over the Millenium cruise. We are planning on going to Montserrat while we are there. It is about an hour away and everyone raves about it. With your extra day there, Montserrat might be good side trip for you.
Mike

E

europemichael

Barcelona port is only appr 15 minutes away from the airport. Problem however is to catch a taxi at the pier. When we arrived on the Splendour last May ist was a nightmare and the taxi queue was pretty long. We ended up taking a regular bus towards the city, got off at first stop and had no problem getting a taxi from there to the airport. I don´t think you will have to spend an extra night in Barcelona, just make sure you are one of the first to leave the ship. Enjoy your cruise and Europe ! Michael MVPinBoynton wrote:

M

maria

We are also sailing on the Brilliance and booked our air through the cruise lines. They are running a promotional of $299. round trip per person. Could not resist that. We were first booked with a $995 air fare but now had the money refunded. We did decide to spend the night in Barcelona. We want to spend some time touring around.

B

babybear

You don't need to book your air with the cruise line if you can get a better deal. But if you book the airline/cruise transfer with them (perhaps a few dollars more than a cab) - and give them your flight number / time, they will disembark you and take you to the airport with time to spare. You'll leave your luggage outside your room the evening before. They'lll tag it and take it and you won't have to deal with your luggage until you get to the airport.
Have a great time. BB