My Prize Winning Chili Recipe

Whimsy

Staff Captain
I will share as long as you never compete against me with my own recipe!

Prize Winning Chili Recipe
3 lbs chili grind lean ground chuck
1 medium onion
Chop the onion fine, brown the ground chuck and the onion, drain the grease in a colander and return to your pot.
Add 1 can of Rotel chili fixins, 1 can Brooks just for Chili beans, 1 can Brooks medium tomato sauce with chili seasoning, 12 oz beef boulion. Simmer for 1 hour.
After 1 hour add
2 T Chili Powder – Here is where you will vary. Chili powders are very different. I buy mine at a spice shop in Soulard market in St Louis. It doesn’t have a processed funky taste I pick up in others. There is no certain brand they have, it’s a loose powder I buy in a clear container. Experiment, there are all kinds of powders and they all give a different taste.
½ T ground cumin
1 t garlic powder
¼ t cayenne pepper
Sprinkle of salt and pepper. Use the fine ground pepper, you really don’t want course ground in your chili
Let all this simmer another hour or two and reseason again ½ before serving. This is a taste and adjust part. The seasonings cook out a bit as it simmers and needs to be adjusted that last ½ hour.
The above measurements are approximate to a degree as I might use a heaping spoonful with some and a scant spoonful with others. I add more broth if it’s too thick or too much tomato flavor. I had to watch what I was using a few weeks ago and write them down as I don’t normally measure when I cook. I tripled this recipe for the cook off to make over 2 gallons as required.
Enjoy!

NiteStar

Safety Officer
:thankyou:

Whimsy

Staff Captain
Correction to the above recipe.

I do not add the beans till the last hour or less.