March transatlantic repositioning for solo traveller questions

chrispert2345

Hi Guys, I am a solo cruiser looking to sail from Florida to Barcelona in March 2023. There are some repositioning cruises on the 9th and 16th March leaving Miami or FL with Royal Caribbean and Princess.

I wonder how long I should wait to book. I know this is such a loaded question, but I am trying to pay around 800$ rather than the 1200$ now advertised.

Anyone got advice on how to find some kind of deal for a solo cruiser leaving in March 2023.

red stripe

Staff Captain
I think that the question is.. is there a certain cabin that you want? if so, then I would book it now and monitor the cruise line board frequently to see any price reductions that you can apply for. A good TA will also keep an eye out for reductions also.

On one of our upcoming booked cruises, we have seen the price drop quite a lot, and each time we have been able to take advantage of the price reduction.

chrispert2345

It would be the cheapest, so inside cabin on a bad deck I guess. You speak of booking something and the ability to change it as you more reductions follow. I've never heard of that. Does that mean you're putting down a deposit and then the travel agent continues to modify the booking as it gets cheaper?

red stripe

Staff Captain
"set a budget with my contact info and then ask them to call me or contact me when a cabin came up within that price range."

I do not know if they would accept that type of booking, or how that would work out. I have a feeling that IF they allowed that contract, you would fall through the cracks, and that even if the price range came down to where you want it, they may forget to call.

For that level of service, I would go with a good Travel Agent. And Yes, we make our deposit and then our TA does keep an eye out for us.
But the other half leaves nothing to chance, and still monitors for price drops.;)
We never pay the full cruise bill until it is time for Final Payment.

IF. as long as where you are on the ship does not bother you, then you can wait them out and hope for the best.

You can also book a "room Guaranty" this means that you pay the down payment for a particular category of cabins. ( for example, Inside cabins) That is usually a bit cheaper option.
One drawback to that is that IF that category gets almost full, then you could end up with the worst cabin location. On the other hand, we have known people that got bumped up to a higher category for the same cost.
It is a roll of the dice.

We once ended up right by the anchor. It was a great wakeup call when we pulled into ports.:oops:

chrispert2345

Thank you so much by the way. I think I now understand a bit how you book cruises. I'm currently in Mexico say it may make it hard to book in a travel agent. I'll wade it out a little and continue to monitor any price drops. I may allow for April too to see if something good comes up. Travelling solo is definitely killing me on the price. MY budget might eventually allow for 1000 if things get desperate, so there is some wiggle room. Great help!

red stripe

Staff Captain
You are welcome.
good luck.
By the way, there are a few cruise lines that offer solo traveler cabins.
Holland America has some on the Koningsdam and the Nieuw Statendam.
RCL has some on the Quantum, Ovation, Anthem and Harmony.
plus some on NCL. P&O etc.
check it out.