London to Dover

C

cruisingbob

Any hints and good ideas on how to get from London airport( I think Gatwick is closer) to Dover cruise port.
Need to catch my cruise ship same day.
please provide details.
Thanks
cruisingbob.com

Karen and Paul

We booked transportation through the cruiseline. It was pricey but we were sure to get there. If memory serves me correctly Dover was a pretty fair distance from London.

ShipMaven

Forever Remembered
If you are arriving the same day the ship sails (really NOT recommended, especially with the usual mess at London airports), then definitely use the cruise line's transfer!

sam2000

Deck Crew
There are four different ways to travel from London to Dover. Dover is approx. 100 miles from London.

1. National Rail The bad part is you would have to take a taxi to the station from where it leaves from. There are probably about 20 - 25 stations that you could leave from. a anyway it takes about 2 hours and costs approx. $33.

2. National Express Bus takes approx 4 - 5 hours and costs approx. $19. Not so good for people in a time crunch.

3. Private car. A private car costs $185 and a van costs $195. Takes about 2 hours. OK if you have a group to share the expense with.

4. Or of course your cruise shuttle which I agree with the above statements that you should take if you are arriving the same day unless you have lots of time.

Sam

leonrdofan

Youth Counselor
You don't have to go into central London from either airport.

1)from Heathrow National Express intercity buses ("coaches") go every hour or so direct to Dover, takes around 4 hours but no change of bus (from Dover to London best to book by computer as
coaches get crowded in rush hour)

2)from Gatwick National Rail (train station in airport) have to change trains but only about 2- 2 1/2 hours.

Both work fine; have done both. National Express and National Rail both have good websites