Lasagna

N

nieciez

Does anyone have experience with making lasagna using standard lasagna noodles but not pre-cooking them? Any tips for this method? I’ve seen a couple recipes that use this method, just state to be sure to use extra sauce and make sure all noodles are covered and bake covered for an hour at 350 degrees. Does this really work well? Hate to end up with crunchy lasagna.

C

Cruise cutie

:wave...:(..I just want to caution you about this.. it's not the crunch factor I'd be tending to worry about so much as the glop from the starch in it baking down having NOWHERES to go.. because essentially what you are doing when you boil pasta in water is...

what you are doing is taking out a TON of starch.. and if they are *REAL* lasagna noodles, and not "pre-cooked" ones.. is that all that starch is then left in your casserole, and it may very well turn into a gobless goop of starch..YUCK.. =shrug...

which is why being the die -hard Italian cook that I am.. I either boil and drain REAL Honest to God Lasagna noodles, not pre- baked, or make "real noodles" and just pile it together..and let my noodles sit on paper towels all stretched out for 20 minutes before I assemble my 6 layer lasagna..or not make it at all.. because if you mess with a traditional recipe, and make short cuts... my experience is it's a huge pile of really expensive Ricotta cheese, whole milk Mozzarella, and home- made sauce that's cooked for 2 days.with sausage, and meatballs.... all down the shoot :(.. and ruined but good..

there are a few things in cooking I don't mess with..Just my way of doing it... and it's using REAL butter , Crisco, for baking...
and with regards to my home-made Italian cooking I will not so much as EVER gamble but do it the hard and fast old way..=shrug..real home-made sauce cooked for a MINIMUM of 2 days..and Whole milk Ricotta, Whole milk Mozzarella, and no matter what the pasta is..I cook it...and drain it well...

JMHO...Good luck...:)..Joanne

G

Gayle V

Denise, I know they make dry lasagna noodles intended to be cooked this way, but I've never heard of doing it with regular lasagna noodles. I don't think I would try it. What a big waste of time and money, if it doesn't work out. Do let us know the results if you do try it.

B

BostonsJ

Denise I tried it once and never will again.

I boil mine and let them drain as Joanne said. You need to get the startch out of them. I also tried those other no-boil noodles and I did not like the taste at all. The starch has to come out or you get a strange taste in my opinion.

It is alot of work but worth it in taste.

N

nieciez

I never thought of the starch factor...very good point. I will do it the old fashion way ;)

M

maw

I thing for those watching carbs you know you can use sliced zuccini for the noodles. Have liked when I tried.

M

mail-girl

Barilla makes a "no boil" lasagne pasta & the recipe on the box is great. It is the only way I make it now!;-)

S

seamom

If I must blow my horn, I make a terrific pasta and NEVER fuss with boiling. I use the no boil ones and it isn't starchy from comments I've had...never had crunchy ones ever...I always make sure they are covered almost with sauce or the can of italian tomatoes that I add for the extra liquid. I've done both eggplant and portobello mushroom varieties or italian sausage and ground veal with ricotta, mozarella and parmagiana cheeses...

I'm sure they must be made with less of the starch factor...I would never try it with regular noodles without the boiling.

J

Jill B

I have made lasagne for years, and I know how to make it completely from scratch the Benevento way, as that is where the ex and inlaws are from.
I have often made the pasta myself, and one time invited an old friend to dinner to share my home made lasagne with Rick and me. The friend found it too "ethnic" for his tastes :dizzy Rick LOVED it.

These days, as I get OLD, I cheat a bit. I find the fresh pasta from our local supermarket works fine, as does the Italian bottled sauce I prefer. I check the ingredients, and add fresh herbs and garlic from our garden; I use fresh pork mince, and sometimes some chopped ham, and always plenty of good mozzarella and parmesan cheeses.

Maw, I have great success using sliced eggplant instead of the pasta, when we are cutting carbs. I imagine zucchini would be yummy too.

S

spinkens

This is too much for me, now I've got to make lesagna using the cook yourself kind. Cruise-Cutie, could you share your sauce recipe? It sounds fantastic. The whole recipe for lasagna would be good too. Thanks