Is there a doctor in the house... I mean, ship

spikesgirl

3rd Officer
Have you ever been on a cruise where some sort of medical emergency happened?

We had the captain come on in the middle of the night asking for blood donations. It was very creepy.

bob

Community Manager Part Time Dinosaur
Staff member
Been on 3 cruises that required medavac plus another one that required a delay for a dockside evac just prior to sailing.
On a canal cruise I made a comment to a friend have you noticed how many medical personnel are on this ship, he said "look aound" well the average age looked like it was about 80, he had a point. Next morning at breakfast with our captain friend I asked Charlie about it, during the conversation I found out that even for that ship 80k ton they have a 4 seater morgue. Imagine what the new mega ton ships have. We lost one on that cruise.

spikesgirl

3rd Officer
Been on 3 cruises that required medavac plus another one that required a delay for a dockside evac just prior to sailing.
On a canal cruise I made a comment to a friend have you noticed how many medical personnel are on this ship, he said "look aound" well the average age looked like it was about 80, he had a point. Next morning at breakfast with our captain friend I asked Charlie about it, during the conversation I found out that even for that ship 80k ton they have a 4 seater morgue. Imagine what the new mega ton ships have. We lost one on that cruise.
Wow, how scary. I guess our guy got a stomach bleed and they were going to do a person-to-person transfusion. They put him off when we arrived at our next port, which thankfully was Sydney. He argued with the Captain and didn't want to leave the ship (he and his companion were on a world cruise).

George C

Staff Captain
we did a cruise with my sister and her husband on Princess about ten years ago , she was on a full suite we had a mini suite , in the suite next door to my sister , they were both complaining about noise in suite, then same person found out airline they flew in on from europe went out of business, They wondered what else could happen when one of them had a heart attack, we were in st Thomas and they were transferred to local hospital.

Jill B

The roaming Aussie
On Pacific Eden they called for blood donors, Rick was the right type so we went down to the medical centre; someone else ended up donating. Apparently the patient had fallen off the back of a Ute on a shore tour.

Jill B

The roaming Aussie
Last year's world cruise, there was an ambulance waiting at almost every port to take away a sick passenger. I think the kennel cough got some of them. The average age of pax was 75, so some might have been on board for their last hurrah.

bob

Staff member
Apparently the patient had fallen off the back of a Ute on a shore tour.
better than falling off the front of a Ute

bob

Staff member

spikesgirl

3rd Officer
we did a cruise with my sister and her husband on Princess about ten years ago , she was on a full suite we had a mini suite , in the suite next door to my sister , they were both complaining about noise in suite, then same person found out airline they flew in on from europe went out of business, They wondered what else could happen when one of them had a heart attack, we were in st Thomas and they were transferred to local hospital.
Oh, no. Wait, it wasn't your sister, but rather the suite on the other side of her who had the heart attack? Still, how scary!

spikesgirl

3rd Officer
Last year's world cruise, there was an ambulance waiting at almost every port to take away a sick passenger. I think the kennel cough got some of them. The average age of pax was 75, so some might have been on board for their last hurrah.
OMG! I wouldn't dare eat or do anything on the ship after the second stop. I always go a little nervous when they would pipe us away from the dock with "Amazing Grace."