I'm finally home after a very long day...

R

reggae

At the beginning of the week, I went to the hospital with my sister because her son was having a kidney biopsy. He had been having problems for a while, and they were running all kinds of tests to see what exactly was wrong.

It's been a long week of waiting for definate answers.....This kid is like my own son, and he's like a brother to my son.

Well, today they asked her to come in for the final diagnosis. I went with her for some moral support, and they explained that he has a rare kidney disease. He has lost almost 50 percent of his kidney function. They are concerned that this deterioration will continue.

They are starting him on a very aggressive treatment of drugs, and if that doesn't help, he will go on Chemo meds.

My sister is a basket case. This kid has always been in great health, played football all through high school, and kept in great shape. He's 22 years old.

I know she is dead tired after all we went through today, and I'm beat from all the stress. It's been a long, hard day....

I would like to ask for your prayers that the meds do what they are supposed to. I know my sister and her son would be sincerely grateful...

Thanks.

S

ShipMaven

Oh, Patty. I'm so sorry to read this. Of course, you have my prayers. Please keep us updated.

J

JANPEP

Oh how scary, such a young fellow.
Prayer's & good thought's are on the way from MN.

B

BostonsJ

Oh Patty I'm so sorry I know I was praying for different results for your nephew. Prayers continue.

C

Corky

Oh, that is so sad. I send my best to your nephew. =hug

FYI - My f-i-l has been on chemo for his kidneys since last Sept, and every day he gets a little better. They have already cut the dosage down a bit. He could be on it for a whole year or more they say - but his labs are coming back good now. He only goes once a month now, where when he stated he had to go weekly.

=hug to your whole family while you go through this. :)

S

seamom

My heart is with you all and hoping those meds do the trick........as a mom, it's a scary thing to hear indeed.

D

Donna - dsw

Hope you all find the strength you need to battle this. Keep up a good spirit!

R

reggae

Thanks all, for the prayers

Corky, I appreciate the information about your FIL. Right now, they are going to use what they called the third course of treatment. The fourth and last would be the Chemo. We are hoping the first will work.

I just wish they could pin point what caused this....all they will say is that it is genetic and/or environmental.

I do have a brother who had a kidney transplant (donated by my older sister), and a neice that had a kidney transplant too (her's was caused by chemo for cancer she had at age two).

But the doctor is saying these are no way connected to what my nephew has....so I just don't get it.

(Also a very special thanks to the kind person that PM'd me with more information last night)

N

nieciez

Patty, I am so sorry to hear that your nephew has to go through this. I will prayer for his recovery and for strength for your sister, you and the whole family. Please keep us posted on his progress.

G

GloBug

Oh gosh, I am so sorry to hear this. I can only imagine what your sister is going through. How is your nephew doing mentally? Prayers for you and your sister's family, so they can deal with the stress of this. Please keep us updated.

R

reggae

Glo, you know these kids....they think they are invincible. Until something like this happens. He is in shock. Major life changes for him.

R

Rubysky

So sorry he has to go through this

HealingPrayers.gif

B

Beryl

How frightening for all of you and especially for this young man and his Mom. I'm praying that the treatment does what it's supposed to do.

K

KathyC

So sorry to hear this; having been thru alot myself these past months with DH I know how bad the stress can be on everyone when a loved one is ill. Keep in mind that he is young & up to this point has apparently been in very good health & with the strides that they are making in the medical field these days I'm sure that the drs will get this under control. Hope he has insurance as he is at that age that catches so many young people without insurance--too old to be on parent's & the jobs many young people have today don't offer medical coverage. Hoping he is on the mend very very soon. Wishing for the best to all of you.