If American Express won't ship Gift cards to Hawaii, do merchants in Hawaii except them?

R

r8derfan

I was going to purchase an American Express Gift card to use in Maui. An I noticed on their website they say one of the states they won't ship it to is Hawaii. Hmm.

S

ShipMaven

Why not call Amex and ask? I use Amex just about everywhere I travel, including Hawai'i, but I'm referring to the card itself.

I

iluvcruzin

You might want to do a search on the American Express Gift cards. There are some complaints on their use. Here's something that may have you think twice - comes from the Amex site:

Let us know as soon as possible about a lost or stolen Card by calling 1-877-AXP-GIFT. Funds used before we receive notification cannot be replaced

So if someone steals it and uses it right away.. there goes your $.

AAA sells the Visa Gift card. There are all sorts of rules on this card too. For example, you can't use it in a ATM or they charge a fee if you need cash. You can't use it for gas unless you have at least $51 balance.

Read all the fine print before you decide.

S

Sailing_gal

:help Not quite on the topic. But are there problems with Visa Gift debit
cards? :girly

R

r8derfan

I'm not sure but I think there is a $2+ monthly fee for the Visa gift card. So if you don't use it in a timely matter you'll get charged.