Humming Bird Feeders ?????

D

Donna - dsw

Do you keep your feeders up all summer. We had tons of Hummingbirds earlier - haven't seen one in a week or so.

Just wondering how long I should keep them going.

C

Cruise cutie

:wave we keep them up till end of September.. Mark changes the feed inside every week.. =shrug..and we still have them coming, if they think the "syrup" is old.. they may not feed...Good luck....:)..Joanne

C

Corky

Yes, Den keeps one up with syrup that he changes weekly and sometimes twice a week depending on the heat and one up with only water. They need just plain water, too.

C

conniecat

Our local hummingbird expert says that early in the spring and summer, the males come in first and scout the territory, Then the females migrate in and make nest and have the babies. While they have young in the nest, they feed on flowers and weeds in the fields, and rarely visit feeders. Then when the babies fledge, that is when they start visiting the feeders. Around the endo of July and into August, it gets dangerous to go on my porch, they dive bomb you. They are very territorial. I would keep the feeders up until later in the year. I take mine down in October. My woodpeckers and other birds love to feed there, too.

A great web site from a neighbor of mine. http://www.hummingbirds.net/about.html#when

F

frito

We have not had any luck at all this year so far with hummingbirds. We saw one about a month or more ago--he only came by once. About 2-3 weeks ago we had another for about a day and that's been it.
Several people around here we have asked have had the same problem--seems like they are late, changed their patterns or somethings going on with them---but we do have plenty of chipmunks--eating all the flowers and digging holes all over. I have trapped two so far and took them to the park and turned them loose. My wife said they probably followed me back home !! :wave

K

Krazy Kruizers

Our hummingbird feeders go up at the end of April and don;t come down until Oct 15 - that's when we usually see the last of the Canadian hummers as they head south.

D

Donna - dsw

Thanks everyone! I will make new food tonight and move one of my feeders from the backyard (which they haven't visited) to out front where they all seem to be! lol

I knew my addict friends would know the answer!

B

BostonsJ

Donna maybe you and I need to fill the feeders with pina colada, stick straws in there and drink it ourselves! :lol :lol

W

Whimsy

Glad to see this post. I haven't seen any hummingbirds at my feeder either this year. I'll have to try something different.

G

GloBug

Here in CA where there is no snow, the hummers don't migrate, so we leave our feeders up all year. They are constantly here for their slurpees!

Actually, the high sugar content of the hummingbird food promotes bacterial growth, so the hummingbird nectar should be changed every two days (says our local wildlife expert). You can make your own, the formula is 1 part sugar to 4 parts boiling water. You can make a large amount and keep it in the refrigerator for easy changing. And you don't need to add red food coloring either. But you do need to make sure to wash out the feeder with hot water every time to discourage growth like that.

R

red stripe

Donna,

first, I really prefer glass feeders instead of plastic, as stuff tends to grow faster in plastic.

I have two sizes of feeders, one is about half a cup size.

I usually put that one out as soon as the weather starts to warn up, as sometimes you will get one passing through on his way up North. So he may only be around for a day.
I only take them down about the time of the first frost, and even then.. I sometimes put up that 1/2 cup one for a little while longer, so that I can feed any straggler.

when I do put up the 16 oz feeders, I usually do not fill them. I only put in about half.
As said above.. they will not drink old stuff, and in the sun, the syrup can turn off in a hurry.

I have a milk jug in which I mix up a lot of syrup, and then put it in the fridge and refill from there. I usually will swap out an empty feeder for a refilled one early in the morning.. around here, that means about 6 am. or I do it after dark at night. That way the syrup has a chance to come to a warmer temp before the bird comes by for a drink.

I mix my own. they say 4 to 1.. mine live life to the fullest.. I give them a bit better sugar ratio than that :lol

ALWAYS use sugar.. NO substitutes, as they will starve to death while drinking anything else..

I was once blessed.. in fact I can think of three things that I have seen in nature that the average person never gets to see.

But the humming bird blessing was when in Mississippi..
I lived in a heavily wooded area where you could hardly see your neighbour. any flowers had to be grown in pots.
So it was the last place I would expect to see hummers. Yet it seems I was on a migratory trail.

I put out a feeder.. and I got a few. Next year they brought friends.. and friends.. and friends.....
I finally contacted the Hummingbird society. They sent someone out to see. They estimated the count as over 600 hummers at my feeders.. the next year it was over 1,000.

The side porch was about 25 foot by 25 foot and half covered by a roof. I hung the feeders off this roof line.
By now I had 4- 32 oz feeders and 2- 16 oz feeders, and I refilled all of them EACH day.

when I took an empty one down, some of them would still be on it, and a bunch more would follow me to the kitchen door.
When I came back out, they would at once start to feed, even as I was walking out with it.
it was the most amazing and beautiful thing I have ever experienced.

I bought so much sugar at the base Exchange.. I was afraid they would send someone out to see if I had a still :grin

N

nieciez

WOW Red, that is a wonderful story, and must have been a sight to see. And a good idea to make up the batch and put in fridge but I could see my older grands pouring it thinking it was a jug of juice :lol And only filling 1/2 way is a good tip too! Can the feeders go in direct sunlight, or would the hummers rather feed in the shade?

G

GloBug

Direct sunlight would encourage the growth of the bacteria in the syrup. I doubt the hummers care about sun or shade, but they are prettiest in the sun!

C

conniecat

[quote red stripe]what glo said.. :lol plus sometimes in direct sunlight they tend to leak.[/quote]

The feeders or the birds??? Sorry, couldn't resist.