How Many Suitcases Does It Take To Take A Cruise

bob

Community Manager Part Time Dinosaur
Staff member
Or how much luggage can a luggage handler handle if a luggage handler could handle luggage
( if you can say that fast with no mistakes take all the luggage you want)

Not wanting to keep Spikesgirl in suspense (from another thread) ...............

As stated, how many suitcases does it take to get you on the ship and HOW do you pack for your cruise? Do you clean the closet, are you thoughtful and conservative, then do you have a plan or do you wing it , be honest now, how many suitcases can you get by with vs how many do you need vs how many do you take.

bob

Staff member
On our second cruise, I went out and bought two suitcases that boinged the allowable size limit, they were softside and huge, good thing they had wheels, I couldn't pick them up. The cruise was out of San Juan and when I picked them up from the baggage area clothes were literally hanging out the torn corners, God bless duct tape, there has to be a better way.
Now we travel with two carryons and I have my Mickey backpack (thanks Mary Ann) for a 7 day, 10 day we have to expand at least one, We always check them but the fit the carry on boxes if they are not expanded. We have learned how to downsize, adjust when we must and otherwise take what we need not what our dilated eyes suggest. I can even get formal clothes in if I am forced to.

spikesgirl

3rd Officer
Or how much luggage can a luggage handler handle if a luggage handler could handle luggage

Not wanting to keep Spikesgirl in suspense (from another thread) ...............

As stated, how many suitcases does it take to get you on the ship and HOW do you pack for your cruise? Do you clean the closet, are you thoughtful and conservative, then do you have a plan or do you wing it , be honest now, how many suitcases can you get by with vs how many do you need vs how many do you take.
You are so silly! I love it.

We usually take two apiece. One apiece for clothes, then one with our dive equipment and the other with wine (we can manage four bottles) If we aren't taking any snorkeling excursions, we will just put some bubble wrap in with some clothes from the other suitcases and then use it for goodies on the way home.

spikesgirl

3rd Officer
On our second cruise, I went out and bought two suitcases that boinged the allowable size limit, they were softside and huge, good thing they had wheels, I couldn't pick them up. The cruise was out of San Juan and when I picked them up from the baggage area clothes were literally hanging out the torn corners, God bless duct tape, there has to be a better way.
Now we travel with two carryons and I have my Mickey backpack (thanks Mary Ann) for a 7 day, 10 day we have to expand at least one, We always check them but the fit the carry on boxes if they are not expanded. We have learned how to downsize, adjust when we must and otherwise take what we need not what our dilated eyes suggest. I can even get formal clothes in if I am forced to.
Because we have dealt with gorilla baggage handlers, we have heavy duty cases from REI. We still hopelessly over pack, even after 23 years. They get checked and then it's just my backpack and Chris's travel case (has the tablet, phones, etc. in it). I still buy way too many tee shirts on cruises, though...

bob

Staff member

bob

Staff member
Because we have dealt with gorilla baggage handlers, we have heavy duty cases from REI. We still hopelessly over pack, even after 23 years. They get checked and then it's just my backpack and Chris's travel case (has the tablet, phones, etc. in it). I still buy way too many tee shirts on cruises, though...
thats the nice thing about just carry on you're the gorilla

bob

Staff member
You are so silly! I love it.

We usually take two apiece. One apiece for clothes, then one with our dive equipment and the other with wine (we can manage four bottles)
Cut back on the dive equipment

Jill B

The roaming Aussie
We take one small case each, even on our 106 day world cruise, so we made good use of the laundry. :emoticon 0100 smile: We usually have to fly to port, so need to be mindful of the luggage weight. Also, our small cabin only had a 2 door wardrobe, so we couldn't have fitted in more than we brought with us.

BSeabob

Forum Manager
Staff member
We can do with one checked and a roller each if its for a week and not travelling with "A gang" that likes to get dressed up. Which doesn't happen much anymore. So I guess it's one...to answer the Q?

PEB

Staff Captain
We take one carry on each and one large piece each that we send on through. This is more than enough even when we do multiple B2B's. It has been enough even when we did a 57 day cruise.

Chelsea922

How long is the cruise? I usually take one fully packed suitcase but our cruises are usually 10 days or longer. I pack for day, casual night, formal night, sports and pool. Each category has a number of items. I use packing cubes and will keep like items in their own cubes so that if I need to find something, I can go to that cube and find it. Usually casual night and formal night clothes take up the most room. Day clothes are usually shirts and shorts - so not very heavy or take up much room.