Hotels in Barcelona (for Sea Turtle)

Funnel

Food and Beverage Manager- Special Contributor
From Sea Turtle:
Loving your photos as I'm currently planning my first visit to Barcelona and my first Mediterranean cruise for Oct 2011.

Hotel recommendations (Barcelona) from you and others are welcome.

Thanks for your share, Funnel! :)

Sea Turtle, I moved the answer to the Europe-forum. Hope it is OK!

I am sure you will have a nice cruise in the Med in October. :beach:
I prefer to sail the Med in October as the temperature is not too high. Perfect for visiting ancient sites. There is usually rather high temperature and high humidity in the summer.
The weather has been good during my cruises there, but of course October is October and it can be some rain and wind.

About hotels in Barcelona I can give you my impressions about the three I have stayed at.

Hotel Ramblas is located directly on La Rambla, the street were “everything†happens.
The hotel was OK but not excellent in any way. Avoid the single rooms as they seem not to have windows. If you are sensitive to noise there may be better places to stay than directly on La Rambla (the action is going on all night and until 4-5AM).

Hotel Gran Ronda is located a few minutes walk from La Rambla. The street is not as busy in the night/morning as La Rambla. The hotel felt a bit more modern than Hotel Rambla but had an indoor atrium that made you hear the noise from the bar in all rooms, again until early morning… :whistle:

Hotel Fira Palace is located close to Placa Espana, the magic Fountain and Palau Nacional. You can walk to La Rambla but it takes about 20-30 minutes. Of course there are buses and subway. There are not many restaurants around the hotel.
The hotel itself was very nice, big reception area and big rooms (especially for being in an European city). No noise from the street outside.

The lobby at Fira Palace:
FiraPalace01.jpg

A standard room (about 100 euro per night if booked early, excl breakfast):
FiraPalace02.jpg

Next time I go to Barcelona I will probably stay at Hotel Fira Palace again. I really liked that hotel and it was good value for money, even though it was some distance from La Rambla. There were some restaurants only a 10-15 minute walk from the hotel (on the street Paral-lel).
For a first time visitor I think a hotel closer to La Rambla is better. :scratch:
Hopefully there are other Cruise @ddicts that have stayed at some good hotels in Barcelona that can give you advices.

What is your itinerary?

/Erik

ShipMaven

Forever Remembered
Since no one else has commented yet, Erik, thank you for your information about, and opinions on, some Barcelona hotels.

Funnel

Food and Beverage Manager- Special Contributor
Mary Ann, I have not been staying at hotels too many times in Barcelona. I think there are a couple of great hotels in good locations, but have not had the opportunity to try them yet. Maybe next time... :whistle:
As in most places; you pay for the location.

In October 2010 I stayed at Fira Palace only because I wanted to be close to the Font Magica (the magic fountain) with it's sound and light show (weekends). Sadly they had technical problems so there was no show when I was there. Well, my usual luck... :madd::biggrin:

/Erik

Sea Turtle

2nd Officer
Erik,

Thank you so much for moving my question and for sharing your Barcelona hotel experiences.

I currently have two hotels booked. Hotel Montecarlo directly on La Rambla; Casa Dover in the Eixample district which is half the price of the first one. So I can see that I really would be paying for the location on La Rambla which is probably where I will end up. Like you mentioned I think it would be the best location for my first visit especially since I am traveling solo. But then the Casa Dover has a common room so it would be nice to meet fellow visitors. Plenty of time to decide. ;) Your room at Fira Palace was huge!

The Magic Fountain is definitely on my list for Fri or Sat evening. Sorry it didn’t work out for you.

I will be in Greece for a week then on to Barcelona for three days pre cruise. 7-night cruise roundtrip stopping for a day in Rome, Livorno, Naples, and one other stop I can't seem to recall. Then 13-night transatlantic southern crossing with stops in Portugal and St Thomas USVI, ending in Miami. I’m excited about the entire journey but I’m really looking forward to Barcelona.

Thanks again for all your great photos and thoughts!!